Thread: Bondo On Laptop?

Default Bondo On Laptop?

So I have a HP dv8000 notebook and I want to convex the lid and black/mirror it. I was wondering if Bondo was too heavy? The laptop is already pretty heavy, so I wouldnt mind if it were a bit heavier but how heavy is this stuff? This would be my first project and I don't really know where to begin, can you do a mirrored finish spraypaint on bondo?

Help please.

Default Re: Bondo On Laptop?

bumpity

Greco101

I'd practice on other stuff first.

Bondo isn't very heavy but I honestly don't think it would work... or hold up at least :/

some custom title eh Cannibal23's Avatar

i have been using bondo on plastic and it seems to stick pretty well. getting things sanded correctly i find is more challanging though because the plastic will be sanded away unlike if it was on steel. i think it will work for you but like Greco said try it on something else first before dumping it all over your laptop
    - The stone knows not why the chistle cleves it
    - The steel knows not why the fire scorches it
    - When thy life is cleft and scorched
    - Curse not thine evil fate
    - Thank the builder for the trials that shape thee.

Totally possible man, bondo just requires a lot of sanding and patience. You could always just do a thin layer over everything, sand it smooth, primer, paint, clear, buff, polish and wax to achieve that mirror shine. Commando just did a killer video series on painting. He covers both rattle cans, and airbrush and spray gun paints. Check it out http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f....php?p=171630#.

hey thanks guys,

i hadnt thought of trying it on something cheaper (tho i really should have) and the truth is, i dont think i'd care if i f-ed up the cosmetics of my laptop, but it'd be cool to improve them. what grain of sandpaper should i use on the plastic that will be attaching to the bondo?

Some will recommend 320.. but I think you'll be ok with 400.

Sexy Hot Nurse ..... NOT!! b4i7's Avatar

ive used bondo on several laptops that ive worked on....mostly to fill cosmetic lines on the casing....or the badge holes on top... it works perfectly fine

just make sure you hit the area and the surrounding area with some andpaper so that it has something to hold to

Quote Originally Posted by intergalacticman View Post
    stunning, how does one tap a hole?

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Bondo on the laptop is fine, just make sure to dismantle it before you sand it or even apply it. Keep the electronics safe from the bondo dust.

Also, the bondo should be rough enough after sanding to take paint well. And it's already kind of a porous surface regardless, so there shouldn't be an issue.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"