Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: case improvement

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Default Re: case improvement

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    one thing that goes along with the weight comment, is there any particular reason why we haven't seen any cases that are made out of titanium? I have seen titanium products and seem to be far more complex.

Just curious

Waht about Carbon Fiber? it light rigid and strong! Ohhh...Titanium/carbon fiber Case.....I think I'm in love!

Crazybillybob

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by emochild626
    that really just sounds like 2 computers lol
    That was kinda the point. One case to take to a Lan. But I've got my Game server and My Rig I play on in one box.

Right now It take me about 2hrs to setup at a Lan (and the crap fills my truck)

I pack a 2'x2'x2'@ box with all the power connections /strips for the lan. A 2'x1'x8" box with a pair of 24 port switches in it. My Pc, 21" monitor (games and other crap) and a 3'x3'x5' Atm machine (the game server) (which really has 2 machines in it...one for Dhcp,Dns, etc....The other just server games)

To go to a lan with less stuff saves me time! and the tought of 2 Pc's in the same space under my desk is just cool.....I can run pure linux on one and XP on the other.....with out giving up all my leg room.

Crazybillybob

ATX Mental Case

Anything along the lines of cooling the ambient temperature of the case. Since CPUs and GPUs are putting out so much heat these days, if the ambient temp of the case could be lower than room temp that would be that much better for the system.
    The path to the good life is directly beneath you at this exact moment

Fresh Paint

One thing about titanium is that it would be far from affordable, it's a very commen metal but the problem is with mining and machining it, the same things that make everyone like it also make it hard to work with, 50 to 90% of the primary form’s weight ends up as chips. I researched it due to me wanting some custom race parts made out of it lol, just for example, I know it's not the same as a case made from it but to give you an idea of the cost there is a full exhaust system made for ducati's and it's really not that much metal if you think about it, but it runs in the 4,000 dollar range. While roughly the same amount of stainless steel would run about between 1/4 to 1/2 that.

I know it's an exhaust system for a motorcyle and nothing to do with computers but it was easy to use as a comparison

Rankenphile

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    one thing that goes along with the weight comment, is there any particular reason why we haven't seen any cases that are made out of titanium? I have seen titanium products and seem to be far more complex.

Just curious
    Cost is a major reason. That stuff ain't cheap!