Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just starting the modding world

Fresh Paint

Default Just starting the modding world

Hi, everything everyones done here looks awesome. I've had an idea I've been wanting to do for a while, but I don't exactly know where to start, and I'm a complete noob when it comes to hardware (crafting and whatnot).

For part of my case I'm going to cut out some of my side panel, and replace it with plexi-glass. But I can't use a regular windowed side panel, cause of what im going to do. So I guess my questions are:

What tool (low budget) should i use to cut the side of my aluminum panel?

And what should I use to hold the plexi-glass in place? (some type of glew, or screws, or what?)

Im painting my case black too. The case is plain, so what should I do there. Just buy some black spray paint?

also, I've been wondering, is there another type of material I could use to get a blur effect for the window? (as in: if i were to put lights into my computer, you wouldn't really see much of the internal things, the window would just kinda light up and have a glow, opposed to it lighting up and you can see whats inside the comp perfectly.)

I know these are pretty dumb questions, but I really don't know what the hell I'm doing. I know what I want to do, just not where to start or what to use.

Ty very much in advance for any advice.

P.S. My case isn't going to be that plain, thats just kind of the start...I guess I just don't want to reveal my idea yet. Obviously its not gonna be that great or anything, thats just how i am

Default Re: Just starting the modding world

Well dude, I'm a big fan of shiny paint jobs, so go with a coat of primer, couple coats of black, and a couple coats of clear.

Fresh Paint

Ty very much, that'll take care of the paint question.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

You can acheive a frosted look on the plexi by wet sanding it with very fine wet n dry sandpaper - I suppose you could TRY sanding harder in some areas and more lightly in others to get a graduated effect but I haven't tried (or seen anyone else try) it.

Tools - cheap tools are a fools choice - and you dont have to spend a fortune to get decent ones - a low end dremel would probably do pretty well.

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

To go back to the Paint topic for a second. If your case is anodized it's going to take a little more work to get the paint to stick. Preping Anodized Aluminum I've posted this link before but hay...It's helpful. The guys at Pimp rig did a great job on this how to.... Even if your case is not Anodized it's got some great basics in it (there is also a few more how too's in the same section over there on getting a great paint job...very good for noobs and some of us old timers too....Never to old to pick up a time saving tip!)

To cut the side out of the case....Dremel or a Jig saw (with fine metal blades...don't buy the cheapy blades spend the $2 more on the good ones they're worth it the finish on the cut is better and there's less warpage (happens when you try to cut too fast and push real hard on the saw!) Bosh,Dewalt, even Black and decker make good blades!)

Oh...little trick cover the whole side of the case with masking tape (2layers) when using a jig saw, this keeps the metal feet from scratching up the case (less sanding gouges out before paint!)....Also you can use Masking tape's edge as a guide line for the dremel cut-off wheels (helps make nice stright lines or smooth flowing curves!)

Good luck, if you have more Q's drop them we'll help you out! (trust me once you start your 1st project you'll have more q's....then when it's done your relived and proud ....Then the next mod's easier.....then your hooked! just like Crack!!! Welcome to Case Modding!)

Crazybillybob

Fresh Paint

haha, thanks a lot. tbcs has the best community, although I've seen a few bad eggs that only talk smack and put down people, but thats like .000001% of the community!

Like I said before, I'm extremely new to this, so how can I tell if my case is anodized?

OH gotta go now, dawn of war: winter assault just got done installing

thnx again for all the helpful info.

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Read the article @ the other end of the link I posted. He goes over this pretty well. Also if you know what kind /model of case you have go to the manufatuer's website and look it up they normaly will tell you weather there anodized...If not call or e-mail the mfg and ask!

Crazybillybob

Spaceroach

For long straight cuts, a jigsaw is the only sane choice. You can get a good jigsaw for thirty bucks. You will have to buy special blades for cutting metal - make sure the shank is compatible with your jigsaw.

For curves, details, and smaller cuts, Dremels (or any comparable high-speed rotary tool) are the only way to go. But learn ye from my mistake: do not under any circumstance buy the cordless Dremel, unless you like three hours downtime after ten minutes work. Plus they're underpowered compared to their corded cousins. Buy one of these and you'll be kicking yourself.

When cutting side panels, make sure you have the panel clamped down to minimize bouncing/jumping, and covered with masking tape to prevent the jigsaw's shoe from marring the surface of your panel.

Good luck!

Fresh Paint

Man, I hope mine isnt anodized, looks like a whole lotta trouble, if I only had enough money for sanders and what not like the link says i need for it!

thank you alot guys. But in my case's case...I don't think there is one straight line..lol, sounds like ill have to use the dremel. Anyone have an opinion as to who makes good dremels? or all they are basically gonna be the same quality?

Point of clarification: Dremels are made by one company...Dremel...it is a brand name, not a specific tool.
    The name Dremel is commonly used to refer to high speed rotary tools, when in fact Dremel makes scroll saws, rotary tools, ingravers, etc etc.
    Rotary tools are available from several companies, most notably Dremel and Foredom (which for all I know could be a product name not a company name as I have never owned one, sigh)