Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dual boot to Ubuntu and Win XP

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

Default Re: Dual boot to Ubuntu and Win XP

Ok, i see. I think I also figured out what went wrong last night. For some reason I got all my sdas mixed around. When I repartioned for Windows again I had like 6 drives. This time I only partitioned for XP (10gig) and left the rest alone. Then I let Ubuntu partition more of the drive for itself and I'll partition and format the media area after. I pulled the drive and placed it in my desktop, ran the live cd and got Ubuntu to install to the drive. So either my drive is going bad on the laptop or, I need to get a cleaning disk. for now I'm happy that the CD burned good.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

Glad to hear you're getting some of it sorted out. I myself am in a little bit of a tight spot getting my wireless to work . Good ol' ndiswrapper. Too bad I'm getting an average of 223 b/s.

I've tried all the commands like "faster wireless = very yes" but nothing seems to be working!

Hopefully I'll get it figured out soon. Ubuntu won't be getting much use if I can't even install packages, let alone go on TBCS.
    RIP Bucko

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

I hear you on that. But thats one reason I was going dual boot because I do stuff for work on my laptop and I don't know how it will act seems it need that microsoft .net program to run and constant internet access. My CDROM seems like its on its last legs. The last time I ran the XP install to fix the partitions it couldn't find the disk when it started the reinstall.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

Well, I read on the Ubuntu Forums that the wireless card I have worked out-of-the-box with 7.04, and then just all of a sudden didn't with 7.10. Since I don't even have anything installed yet, I might just revert to 7.04 if I can find an installer. If I could jump back from the command line within Ubuntu, I would, but I don't think you can do that.

"sudo apt-get downgrade". Doesn't sound like something they'd want people using.

Edit: Well, I'm downloading the install CD. I hope this one works good, because so far 7.10 hasn't been that nice to my system. Power Management likes to turn my monitor off during boot, and it doesn't like to remember that I added ndiswrapper to the auto-loaded modules.
    Last edited by .Maleficus.; 02-12-2008 at 07:18 AM.
    RIP Bucko