Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: CS3-Is it worth it?

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Default Re: CS3-Is it worth it?

yep, although I dont use it as much as I thought I would, but with my new mod in its infant stages that may change

Fresh Paint

there are a lot of new features coming from ps 7, so i would say, yes its worth it. If you have cs or cs2 i wouldn't recommend an upgrade to cs3 but other then that deffinately worth it.

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

For the price I would snap it up. My school recently upgraded from CS2 to CS3 and I love the new versions. I have worked a lot with the Photoshop CS3 and Premiere Pro CS3 and find them really good to work with.

I made this for a year 12 English "design your own business" assignment using Photoshop SC3, I know it's basic but it took me all of 30 mins including the scanning time and some work in MS paint.
    Pic:

Yes CS3 does run slightly slower but I am pretty sure that is because it utilizes more RAM. The school let me use their disk on my current PC and I run it fine (with 4GB of RAM and a Q6600 lol).

Also for all you GTX2** owners out there Adobe is working on (or already have released) an update to allow CUDA to work in Photoshop CS3.

Just my 2 cents.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

i use CS4 now, much nicer, very fast(But i put that down to CUDA support)

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

cs4 FTW! I love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

I use PS CS3 and CS4 on a daily basis and am a firm believer in PS. There is no other image editing program that can compete with PS. Some will argue that aperture or GIMP are just as good if not better and to them I say prove it. I can edit 100 photos on an individual basis in PS in half the time one can in GIMP or Apeture and I can "shop" much easier than either of them can.

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

I use GIMP at home because I don't believe I should have to pay for PS. Yeah I know it is better but the way I see it is software is basically open source these days, you are just paying for a 16 digit code that allows you to use it. For the minimal editing I do GIMP is more then enough, and I don't have to pay for it.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

for most people GIMP is a great program, it just can't keep up with PS for most rendering and filters,

I find GIMP doesn't have any layer blending options, you have to filter each layer rather then blending them

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

woy...collokweee...weeble weeble blaaaat artoodeeto's Avatar

I use CS4 Illustrator, Acrobat and PS all the time at work. Illustrator doesn't seem to be much different than in CS3, I don't use enough of the advanced stuff in PS to really see a difference, and I'm mostly annoyed at the differences in Acrobat. Mainly the downgrade from opening all files in one acrobat window to each file opening in a separate window. I use dual screens, and so now instead of files opening in one window on one screen, they open all over the place on both screens. Drives me nuts.
    Also Illustrator and acrobat seem a bit buggy compared to CS3; for instance, in Illustrator frequently when I have multiple files open and I have them as separate floating windows, either right after I open them or right after I navigate back to Illustrator after being in another program, I'll click on the top window and the one under it comes to the top. So I click on that one, and the one under IT comes to the top. And so forth til I've gone through all the files. THEN I can click on the one I want and it's on top. Most irritating. Acrobat does something similar with multiple files open, and if, for example, I go to print to pdf, it'll bring up the window behind the one I was using.

It's irritating...CS3 didn't do any of that...but I still love these programs.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevateThis View Post
    I'd mod my dog if i could.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    (Steam me.... that sounds bad >_<)

I prefer CS3, layers and channels are all fscked up in CS4. Also, with no nVidia cards, I get no CUDA support. However, with what I have to throw at it, I can shoop just fine.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08