Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, who wants to help me design a wind turbine?

Default So, who wants to help me design a wind turbine?

So I'm in an engineering class. Our project right now is to build a wind turbine. First we all got into groups and ordered kits for it. These are crappy little kits, but we were to build them and then test them out and then run a bunch of tests and record the results and information. Now soon though, we'll be building our own turbines. Now, we can use the coils and magnets and everything that came with the kits, would could buy mroe coils and magnets or whatever, or we could just use whatever materials we want. I already have all of the tools and materials needed to build it really, from having stuff for case building. I figure we can use some of the aluminum I have for my case.

I'd like you guys to help me though. The other guys in my group don't seem enthusiastic enough or anything like that. So if you guys have any sorts of ideas or information, that'd be great. We could all design it together and then I'll build it. But like, if you have any ideas on what to use, what materials to make it out of, what kind of magnets to get, how to position them, the overall design of the turbine, that would be great. Maybe some links to information about how it all works and stuff like that.

So, anyone here up to helping me out?

I subscribed to this thread. BigJohnson's Avatar

Default Re: So, who wants to help me design a wind turbine?

I'd love to add what I can, as a former student of engineering. I didnt get far due to lack of funds, but whatever I can do to help. A little more information about it would be great. What the assignment fully entails and such.

I'm not sure what kind of guidelines there are to it. I think it'll be measured on it's output and everything, and I think I can build it however I want. So I guess let's just think up the mose kick ass design we can.

Thoughts;

Ninja style blades with feather plucker's and a microwave dish for frying the birds that fly into the turbine. It could be setup to deposit the fryer fresh birds into some hot wings sauce ready for consumption.

I know, I got a million of em...

I will brainstorm some ideas tonight.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

You'll probably learn more in life if you do your own homework.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

It's not homework though, it's the main project for the semester. I'll learn plenty while building it. I just need better people to work with rather than the ones I'm with.

i will help you make a wind turbine, at least the power source...

CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Quote Originally Posted by DaJe View Post
    It's not homework though, it's the main project for the semester. I'll learn plenty while building it. I just need better people to work with rather than the ones I'm with.
    That is also part of the assignment... Learning to work with and motivate others.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Well I'm still going to listen to their ideas if they have any, and build it with them. I just wanted some input from you guys.

Sorry if that sounded condescending, came out a bit snappier than intended. I'm certainly not trying to tell you what to do, I just think there are better ways to get through this assignment rather than asking for help before you have made an earnest attempt on your own. My point was judging from my experience, you'll get the most out of this assignment if you first try to get the group to work as a team, then if they don't care to think for themselves try to design it yourself. Struggle with it for a while and if you get stuck with it post what you have and see if someone can help you solve the particular problem at hand. Then keep working until you have the design nailed with you doing as much of it as possible. This assignment seems geared more towards design than construction. I would just rather see friends gain more knowledge and critical thinking skills. Just my thoughts.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri