Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Motorized Madness

Default Re: Project: Motorized Madness!

Thanks you guys. All your comments have put a huge smile on my face!

I did some more kit bashing tonight and glued the gears on the panel for the logo. -Have to wait till the end for the actual name plate to go on for that final touch after all the painting is done.

Sorry I don't have any pics. Its not much more than what I showed earlier today. Just some more plastic pieces mainly on the base.

Once I get further along in the kit bashing I'll post some more pics.

-FYI, my lcd screen should be here on monday, But that is my bowling night, so I won't be able to start that untill Tuesday night. I can't wait to test it out.

-Oh and about painting, yeah, I'm planning on spending a lot of time painting all the little parts and pieces with multiple colors and then to match the turbine, it will get the weathered look.

Thanks again for everyone's support!

Dan

Hey guys, I've got some good news, and some bad news. First the good news,
    I received my lcd monitor on friday!!! and I've been diligently working on getting it integrated into the case. I'm about half way done. I've got the motorization part done and the surrounding case for it finished. All I have left to do is mount it in the case and program the servos.

Now the bad news. I won't be posting any pics of this till I"m all done. I wouldn't want to show you bits and pieces and just leave you hanging. I'd hate to keep your suspense up any longer that I have to. So I've decided that once its done, I'll show you a video first, then how I did it.

So don't get upset at me, I'm just looking out for YOUR best interest. Muahhhaaahhhh (Evil Laugh).

Hey guys, I've got some good news, and some bad news. First the good news,
    I received my lcd monitor on friday!!! and I've been diligently working on getting it integrated into the case. I'm about half way done. I've got the motorization part done and the surrounding case for it finished. All I have left to do is mount it in the case and program the servos.

Now the bad news. I won't be posting any pics of this till I"m all done. I wouldn't want to show you bits and pieces and just leave you hanging. I'd hate to keep your suspense up any longer that I have to. So I've decided that once its done, I'll show you a video first, then how I did it.

So don't get upset at me, I'm just looking out for YOUR best interest. Muahhhaaahhhh (Evil Laugh).

I got it installed and mounted in the case. I cut out the side panel to allow for room. Bad news is I have to get a servo extension cable before I can hook it up. So I won't be able to get any video of it yet. One of the servos is fine, but the other is short by about 2 inches. -Have to make a stop at hobby town before I can get to work on the programing.

-I've been taking plenty of pictures, And I could post them, I just think it will be cooler if you guys see it in action first before I post how I did it.

Should have an update in a few days for you. And thanks for the Reps by the way!

I got it installed and mounted in the case. I cut out the side panel to allow for room. Bad news is I have to get a servo extension cable before I can hook it up. So I won't be able to get any video of it yet. One of the servos is fine, but the other is short by about 2 inches. -Have to make a stop at hobby town before I can get to work on the programing.

-I've been taking plenty of pictures, And I could post them, I just think it will be cooler if you guys see it in action first before I post how I did it.

Should have an update in a few days for you. And thanks for the Reps by the way!

Ok, to tide you guys over, here are some shots of the work I did before the monitor.

I got the replacement Bulgin switch and wired it up and tested it before installing it. -It will be powered by the 6v power supply for the servo controller and be wired to be on constantly. that way I can find the power switch in the dark.

I drilled a hole in the front of the base.

And I temporarily installed in the base. I will remove it for painting.

Here are some shots of the kit bashing I've been working on.

Thats all for now.

Ok, to tide you guys over, here are some shots of the work I did before the monitor.

I got the replacement Bulgin switch and wired it up and tested it before installing it. -It will be powered by the 6v power supply for the servo controller and be wired to be on constantly. that way I can find the power switch in the dark.

I drilled a hole in the front of the base.

And I temporarily installed in the base. I will remove it for painting.

Here are some shots of the kit bashing I've been working on.

Thats all for now.

Well, here it is finally. The long awaited video of everything in action. It's a pretty big video, almost a minute long, so if you have a slow connection, let it load, its worth it. -I spent the last few days finishing the monitor compartment and adding some more kit bashing. Here a a few final pics first.

This is a shot of the lighted power switch that stays on constantly.

And here is a shot of the right side of the case. I still have more kit bashing work to do before its done, plus I want to add a frame around the monitor area.

Notice in the video that I added the switch for the lights to come on when the base trays fully extend.

And without further adue....
    the video showing everyting.

See my next post for how I did it!

Well, here it is finally. The long awaited video of everything in action. It's a pretty big video, almost a minute long, so if you have a slow connection, let it load, its worth it. -I spent the last few days finishing the monitor compartment and adding some more kit bashing. Here a a few final pics first.

This is a shot of the lighted power switch that stays on constantly.

And here is a shot of the right side of the case. I still have more kit bashing work to do before its done, plus I want to add a frame around the monitor area.

Notice in the video that I added the switch for the lights to come on when the base trays fully extend.

And without further adue....
    the video showing everyting.

See my next post for how I did it!

So now that you've seen it in action, here is how I did it.

this is the monitor that I ordered.

and here is a test shot to make sure it works. -lights off.

I started by making a frame out of styrene.

and I glued the sides to the front panel, but I left the back off.

here you can see the screen installed in the box.

And this is what the back of the lcd looks like.

I then added some gussets, blocking and a rim along the back side to attached back cover. I made it removable for painting and servicing the monitor. I also dilled a few holes to adjust the contrast and brightness.

Then I glued and screwed a servo horn to the inside of the case.

you can see I had to grind down the screws so they wouldn't hit the monitor.

Here it is with the servo attached and I started to sleeve the wires.

And here is the finished monitor box.

Next came the rotating assembly.
    I started with another and last servo (9 all together now). and mounted it to piece of styrene.

You can see here how I just made a box for it. It has another servo horn on the bottom.

Then I made another box to house the entire assembly.

In this shot you can see how I ran the wires. I still have to sleeve the servo wire. (I forgot!) lol.