Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Motorized Madness

Default Re: Project: Motorized Madness!

So now that you've seen it in action, here is how I did it.

this is the monitor that I ordered.

and here is a test shot to make sure it works. -lights off.

I started by making a frame out of styrene.

and I glued the sides to the front panel, but I left the back off.

here you can see the screen installed in the box.

And this is what the back of the lcd looks like.

I then added some gussets, blocking and a rim along the back side to attached back cover. I made it removable for painting and servicing the monitor. I also dilled a few holes to adjust the contrast and brightness.

Then I glued and screwed a servo horn to the inside of the case.

you can see I had to grind down the screws so they wouldn't hit the monitor.

Here it is with the servo attached and I started to sleeve the wires.

And here is the finished monitor box.

Next came the rotating assembly.
    I started with another and last servo (9 all together now). and mounted it to piece of styrene.

You can see here how I just made a box for it. It has another servo horn on the bottom.

Then I made another box to house the entire assembly.

In this shot you can see how I ran the wires. I still have to sleeve the servo wire. (I forgot!) lol.

Then I added a removable cover over the wires and tilt servo.

I added this small "guide" to help the wires not flex out of the channel.

then to mount it, I added some gussets and a block on the sides of the box.

then I drilled and tapped into the verticle acrylic drive supports. Man those thing really hold this thing together!

here are some shots of it in the case:

I Cut an opening in the side panel to fit around the monitor case.

and that brings us up to the final images and video.

I hope you guys liked how it turned out.

next up, some more kit bashing!!!!

Then I added a removable cover over the wires and tilt servo.

I added this small "guide" to help the wires not flex out of the channel.

then to mount it, I added some gussets and a block on the sides of the box.

then I drilled and tapped into the verticle acrylic drive supports. Man those thing really hold this thing together!

here are some shots of it in the case:

I Cut an opening in the side panel to fit around the monitor case.

and that brings us up to the final images and video.

I hope you guys liked how it turned out.

next up, some more kit bashing!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Looks awesome.. I cant say enough good things about this build.

One concern though.. it looks as though the weight of the LCD is causing it to sag a bit.. a bit of extra reinforcement may be needed to keep it supported.
    Yeah, you are correct. the lcd is just too heavy to be stable. The only thing holding it up is the connection at the tilt servo horn. basically its a small 3/16"dia. plastic splined connection. Thats it. I even tried a metal servo and it does the same thing. I'm not sure what else I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Looks awesome.. I cant say enough good things about this build.

One concern though.. it looks as though the weight of the LCD is causing it to sag a bit.. a bit of extra reinforcement may be needed to keep it supported.
    Yeah, you are correct. the lcd is just too heavy to be stable. The only thing holding it up is the connection at the tilt servo horn. basically its a small 3/16"dia. plastic splined connection. Thats it. I even tried a metal servo and it does the same thing. I'm not sure what else I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Roughhouse View Post
    That is amazing. I can't wait to see the finishing touches.

For the swing action of the LCD. Coud you run a rod all the way through the box and attach a gear to it for the servo to run. I think this would take the weight of the single servo.
    Thats a good suggestion, Like the carbon fiber rods I used on the base tray. They don't flex hardly at all. In order to make that happen, I'd have to redesign the entire thing. the center of the pivot point goes directly through the LCD screen, that way the weight is balanced, and doesn't make the LCD tilt under its own weight when the servos shut off. the other problem would be the width of the unit. I only have enough width before the assembly hits the motherboard standoffs. I left 1/2" of room for the edge. so any more width and It wouldn't fit. I might try and shim the bottom out, that way it counteracts the sag. but I'm not sure if that will work. But thanks though!

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Sick work, as always. I do have a question though, about the kit bashing. What models are you using/where you find them? I have a need for some mechanical bits for my current project.
    Basically I raided my local Hobby Town for any mechanical looking type kits. Most of the kits I bought were manufactured from AMT. I mostly used Star Wars Kits. The tank kits were way too expensive for the amount I could use, but I"ve used quite a bit of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Roughhouse View Post
    That is amazing. I can't wait to see the finishing touches.

For the swing action of the LCD. Coud you run a rod all the way through the box and attach a gear to it for the servo to run. I think this would take the weight of the single servo.
    Thats a good suggestion, Like the carbon fiber rods I used on the base tray. They don't flex hardly at all. In order to make that happen, I'd have to redesign the entire thing. the center of the pivot point goes directly through the LCD screen, that way the weight is balanced, and doesn't make the LCD tilt under its own weight when the servos shut off. the other problem would be the width of the unit. I only have enough width before the assembly hits the motherboard standoffs. I left 1/2" of room for the edge. so any more width and It wouldn't fit. I might try and shim the bottom out, that way it counteracts the sag. but I'm not sure if that will work. But thanks though!

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Sick work, as always. I do have a question though, about the kit bashing. What models are you using/where you find them? I have a need for some mechanical bits for my current project.
    Basically I raided my local Hobby Town for any mechanical looking type kits. Most of the kits I bought were manufactured from AMT. I mostly used Star Wars Kits. The tank kits were way too expensive for the amount I could use, but I"ve used quite a bit of the others.

Sorry Big, not sure what you mean there. The lcd assembly, the whole thing is attached to the verticle acrylic pieces on the inside of the case. It is sagging at the servo connection between the rotating section and the case the LCD sits in. thanks.

Sorry Big, not sure what you mean there. The lcd assembly, the whole thing is attached to the verticle acrylic pieces on the inside of the case. It is sagging at the servo connection between the rotating section and the case the LCD sits in. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Boddaker View Post
    If it still sags, then you will need a stronger servo with a larger shaft.
    That is really the only solution. the servo horn is not flexing itself. Nor is the box the LCD is in. Its the small 3/16" diameter plastic shaft that has the splines on it that is flexing. I can look for a steel shaft. Maybe that would help.

I did add a small "shim" so when it closes it doesn't sag.

Sorry I don't have any pics right now.