Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Next Project?

Default Re: Next Project?

I have been trying to develop the idea a little further and am starting to get a picture of what I want from this case.

I am leaning towards a kind of 'cartoon-like industrial' theme:

- The cartoon-like being, large blocks of orange and very simple defined lines.
    - The industrial being, lots of aluminum, hex bolts and a very OTT watercooling loop.

I have done a couple more sketch-ups to try and come up with some ideas/features that fit this theme. The main focus at the moment being the top panel of the case.

I am not 100% decided on the theme as yet so any input would be much appreciated.

Have a look see what you think?

The three tubes on the outside of the case would be coming from waterblocks and leading back into the res.

I have one or two concerns about this, wondering if anyone can put my mind at rest or put the brakes on this idea before I spend too much time on it.

A cut away picture of what I'm talking about so you can see what I mean:

My concerns are:

a) would splitting the loop into three tubes after it has been through the blocks cause any flow/pressure problems?

and

b) would having the three inputs to the res on the top cause bubbles that would then be sucked through the loop? (this isn't so much of a problem as I could move things about to have them entering the res from the sides, its just easier from a build point of view to have them going in from the top)

Thanks in advance for any input.

Xperiment

My Worklogs: Reality Bytes / Flux

I like your idea! orange and alu always look good. The three tubes are nice too. I'm sorry though that I do not have any experience in water cooling. I do however suspect that you will have to keep a close eye on the flow/pressure of the system. Maybe you should go for a slightly larger pump?

anyways, the idea _looks_ good...

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Looks bloody fantastic. You soooooooo have to make this.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

@ silverdemon - Thanks, I would be using a 12V Laing DDC1+ Ultra 18W for the pump, hopefully that will be more than enough to get the water moving. Just worried about having 3 inputs and only one output on the res.

@ The boy 4rm oz - hey buddy, cheers. I am really keen to get on and build this but want to plan everything out first. Hopefully iron out all the kinks before I start building.

wow.
    It looks really good.
    The water cooling tubes on the top make it look really good.
    Very cool idea.

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

I'm really looking forward to make my own cube mod within the next year or so. I will start a thread when I think the sketches are worthy.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Quote Originally Posted by Xperiment View Post
    Thanks, I would be using a 12V Laing DDC1+ Ultra 18W for the pump, hopefully that will be more than enough to get the water moving. Just worried about having 3 inputs and only one output on the res.
    If you think/know that the pump will be powerful enough it should be no problem to go with 3 inputs. remember that the WC-system is closed, so there's a certain volume of liquid in it. That liquid is pumped around. Now when you have one tube it'll flow at a certain speed and with a certain pressure. When you have 3 tube (3x the throughput-area) the liquid will flow slower through it and the pressure will drop. If your pump is good enough this should not be a problem.

bottom line: The amount of liquid going out of the res is equal to the amount of liquid getting into the res. The air bubble thing I think should be no problem, as long as you have the outgoing tube (from the res) under the liquid surface (preferably at the bottom of the res).

Hope that helps...
    btw I never did WC'ing, I might be totally wrong...

@ Silverdemon - Thanks, that's very helpful. It would make sense that there would be a slower flow and lower pressure through the 3 tubes.

Now my next question is going to be, would having a slower flow across or after the blocks be best? I would assume it would be best to have a fast flow over the blocks, but then again would the water be able to 'take on' more heat if it spent more time on the block??

I have drawn up a couple of different waterloops. I know they are by no means laid out in the best way and would be way overkill for the system they will be cooling. They are 95% for cosmetic value.

Just looking for peoples opinions on which one they think would be the best out of the two.

So here they are, any input would be much appreciated:

a)

b)

What do you think?

I think B would be the best way (I'm no expert...) because when I look at B I think the flow will be equally split into 3 flows at one point, meaning 1/3 the pressure and speed in the tubes there.

In A you split the flow three times. in the CPU-block you split the flow 50/50, then the 50% goes to the GPU-block and split 50/50, meaning 25% goes to reservoir and 25% to the NB-block. That's why I think that situation B is the better one. Keep in mind that due to the difference in friction in the tubes those numbers are not entirely correct. maybe the flow will split 60/40 in the CPU-block or 40/60, I dont know.

probably the best way to find out is trying it...

hope that helps

To the WC-experts on the board: who can help him out?

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

I'm no expert on this matter either, but I want to say/think that having multiple input with singular output would create too much pressure within the reservoir? I could be wrong though. But, just in case I'm not, I _think_ this would solve that issue if it exists.

People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.