Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Next Project?

Default Re: Next Project?

@ Silverdemon - Thanks once again for your help, option b would also give me more scope for modding aswell, given that lots of splitting / connections would be needed and what you say about the different flows through each of the blocks would make sense.
    Again thank you for your input. +rep

@ Zephik - I never even thought of using 1/2" tubing between the res, rad and pump. What a great idea, thank you. That should help even out the flow. +rep

My Worklogs: Reality Bytes / Flux

Yeah, the different size tubes is a great idea. I wouldn't worry about the pressure in the res though. Because the fluid that goes into the res must come from somewhere, and that somewhere is the output of the res, through the whole loop... meaning you will never get a higher pressure in the res.

I think that design looks wonderful. As for the WC loop, I'm not really an expert myself but my thoughts are that you should keep it a circular loop without the splits. Reason being if there is any difference in resistance between the three, the one which is the highest will get little water and could possibly stop flowing altogether. Heat may be a factor also, the hottest block may get too little flow. In order to ensure that they all get adequate flow I think your best best is one continuous loop starting with the coolest component and ending with the hottest before the rad, then the res, and back to the pump.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    I think that design looks wonderful. As for the WC loop, I'm not really an expert myself but my thoughts are that you should keep it a circular loop without the splits. Reason being if there is any difference in resistance between the three, the one which is the highest will get little water and could possibly stop flowing altogether. Heat may be a factor also, the hottest block may get too little flow. In order to ensure that they all get adequate flow I think your best best is one continuous loop starting with the coolest component and ending with the hottest before the rad, then the res, and back to the pump.
    Good points, that makes sense in my head too. But I think he may be fine if he gets a good strong pump. It seems to me that if it can push liquid through 1/2 inch tubing then it could push it through multiple 3/8ths inch tubing. That makes sense to me at least...

By the way, I was thinking about it and I would switch the reservoir and radiator around. That seems to make more sense to me, what do you guys think? Would it even matter? It might help lower the temperature maybe about a degree or so or something.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Sexy Hot Nurse ..... NOT!! b4i7's Avatar

theres one thing ive thought about with splitting coolant up like that

liquid likes to take the path of least resistence... so wouldnt you have a flow problem?

Quote Originally Posted by intergalacticman View Post
    stunning, how does one tap a hole?

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    ...It seems to me that if it can push liquid through 1/2 inch tubing then it could push it through multiple 3/8ths inch tubing. That makes sense to me at least...
    I think that's true. I've calculated the throughput area of the tubes:
    1/2" -> .39 square inches
    3/8" -> .22 square inches
    3*3/8" -> .66 square inches

I think that means that the flow speed will be about 2/3 in the 3/8" tubes compared to the 1/2" tubes.

but you will have to make sure (like jon said) to have about the same amount of friction in all three loops, to get an even flow.
    I think you should test this before putting it on a working PC and maybe you should get 3 flow-meters, just to keep an eye on the flow-speeds

@ Zephik
    Now that you mention it, you probably want to get rid of the heat before you dump your fluid in the res. I didn't see that yet...

First off thankyou everyone for your input.

So it does look like I would have a flow problem if I split the loop. I was worried about this, I knew water would take the path with least resistance but wasnt sure if this applied to a closed loop.

I did however have an idea during one of my many day dreams at work today.

What if I used valves, like these:

Placed one on each of the 3 tubes coming out of the side of the case, as below:

Then arranged the waterloop like this: EDIT: "lol notice how one of the splitters actually cools the loop, doh"

(The splitters would look something like this: )

This way I can keep the 3 tubes I want on the outside of the case, without messing with the flow across the blocks.
    The valves would really help with the theme of the case, but also would give me the option to close off a couple of the splits if they caused a problem.

No real benifit to the cooling of the build and will more than likley cause more problems than they are worth but visually I think they would do the trick.

But as I see it with the loop arranged this way I would just have a higher preasure in the 3 split tubes and that wouldnt really effect the rest of the loop.

What you guys think, problem solved or have a I gone mad lol.

Sorry for all the pictures but I find it much easier to explain with pictures than words. Hope it makes sense.

So, let me picture this. with those valves you try to get the same amount of friction in all three loops? or am I misunderstanding the idea? I think it should probably work, but it'll take some finetuning. One benefit is that you can focus on getting the optimum temps on your rig, opposed to 'same flow in every tube' (the gpu might need more cooling than northbridge)

One other thing you can do, but that's a whole different idea, is using three pumps, just use one pump for every cycle you have. I'll upload an image of what I mean in a sec...

[edit]: picture

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

I'm kind of confused with the shut off valves, what exactly are they for? How do they work with what your trying to use them for?

Sorry about the brain fart. lol
    Last edited by Zephik; 02-22-2008 at 09:22 PM. Reason: brain fart... hahaha
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Yeah sorry reading my post back I didn't really explain very well.

Lets say I have the loop set out as in the picture with the splitters and the valves. The three valves are in the open position, but one of the three tubes is getting a lot less flow than the others, or isn't flowing at all.

I could part close the valves on the other two tubes to create some resistance, increasing the flow through the other tube.

Also say having the three tubes all flowing was causing problems with flow within the loop, I could just close off one or two of the valves turning the loop back into a 'normal' none split loop.

I hope that makes sense, basically I would give myself the option to adjust the flow through the three split tubes - ideally to get an even flow through each of them.

@ Silverdemon - More than one pump would be nice, trouble is I am very limited on space.