Thread: First Case Build

duct tape can fix anything Tavarin's Avatar

Default First Case Build

I'm fairly new to the modding of computer parts and cases, only doing custom paint jobs on my cases and equipment in the past. But now I want to build a case, not just mod an existing one. I'll only be using the mobo tray and drive bays from an existing case, all of which will be reshaped and moved.

I plan on using my current computer system in this case, the only changes I plan to make by the time this case is complete is to put in an 850w galazy and start crossfire to a second Radeon HD2900XT.

Here's a quick design I made up in SketchUp. It's the first thing I've ever made in SketchUp so it doesn't look great (any help on using SketchUp would be appreciated) but it should give you a good idea of what I want to achieve:

From the front:

From the back:

The other side;

For case cooling I would have 3 120mm fans, 2 80mm fans, and the large fan that comes on the bottom of the PSU. I'm planning on using a Zalman on my CPU which can be seen in the first 2 pictures. Originally I wanted to mount the power supply inside the case, but the Zalman got in the way, so I decided to move the PSU up and out of the case entirely. I may build a cover for the PSU, but have yet to decide.

The drive doors on the front will have much better fire on them. They will also be spring loaded from behind so as to pop open at a touch of a button. Quick and easy

As for the materials I will be using 2mm aluminum for most of the body, and standard Plexiglas (or acrylic) for the windows. The symbol on the side door will be carved into the window and lit up with a red light bar. As for the colour of the case I have yet to decide, so I just made the sides metal in the pictures (any suggestions on colour will be welcome). The power button/reset button/Power LED's area will be made with plastic and aluminum so far as I've planned.

Again, any suggestions for the case itself, or advice about using SketchUp is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Default Re: First Case Build

So does anyone have any ideas or advice, or should I just go ahead and start the build the way I've planned it here?

Dont worry people will reply soon I dont have enough time atm to give you a proper reply but looks good so far.

CAN YOU WIN PLAYER OF THE WEEK!!!
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tbcs

I think it looks cool, start building by all means. You can always adjust the design as you go along if desired.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Yeah i can only agree with the previous statement, let's get it on

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

This design looks wicked. I've always loved trapezoidal shaped cases such as this.

The tribal design on the right hand side of the case looks very nice as well. Will that be etched into the aluminum or a decal or ???

And the door idea is genius! It would be very cool if you could turn that into something along the lines of the Doom3 blast door and have it open and close via remote.

Paint scheme wise...I'm at a loss. I'm sure you'll figure out something.

And your Skecthups are great. Play around with the program a bit and I'm sure you'll be able to knock all sorts of things out--remember, google is your friend for finding tutorials!
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Thanks for the support guys. I'm on vacation right now but I'll start this soon after I get home, just need to drop by canada computers to get some supplies.

@DrumThumper I'm thinking that I'll paint on the design on the side. I'll just make a stencil and use some car quality spray paint to paint it on. And I'll see what I can do about the drive bay doors, for the beginning I'll just use springs to open them, but I may put in a couple small motors to get them open.

And a quick question, can you order directly from A.C.Ryan or do you have to go through a distributer?

Cheers

ATX Mental Case

looks good, i say try it.

If you dont have specific color you want to paint the case, wait for your hardware to arrive and pick a color that compliments the components inside the case. It will have more of a flow to it and wont look out of place like a red computer and gree mobo.

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by J-Roc View Post
    If you dont have specific color you want to paint the case, wait for your hardware to arrive and pick a color that compliments the components inside the case. It will have more of a flow to it and wont look out of place like a red computer and gree mobo.
    exactly, like if you want the PCI slot color to match the paint that would be really cool, and then paint one or two of the case fans to match