Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1.2GB per sec Satellite Download

Default 1.2GB per sec Satellite Download

Rocket was launched today from Japan to test their new satellite technology.

"Japan launched a rocket Saturday carrying a satellite that will test new technology that promises to deliver "super high-speed Internet" service to homes and businesses around the world.
    A rocket carrying a super-fast Internet satellite lifts off from its launch pad on the Japanese island of Tanagashima.

The rocket carrying the WINDS satellite -- a joint project of the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries -- lifted off its pad at 5:55 p.m. (0855 GMT) "

Source: CNN
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

Default Re: 1.2GB per sec Satellite Download

Could it be a cuincidence that this is after they shot down the spy satellite? Maybe they were waiting so they could take the space.

Is awesome

Yes. That is just coincidence. There is plenty of space in... space.

Think of how expensive this going to be. But also, think of how awesome that would be to have satellite at 1.2 gigabytepersecond. You would never have to worry about your ping a game ever again... oh yeah. That's right, yes you would.
    You love my sig.

Asia will get those high speeds. If something like this was in the U.S. things would be limited to just above other sources like cable or dsl and would come at a premium.

Its funny the service we get here in the US compared to some other places (yet we're better than others I know). I just finally read the fine print on my service here at the apartment. No wonder my connection only nets me the slow crap that I get most of the time. Right in the fine print it states that powerBoost only affects the first 10mb of a download. On top of that, I never get anywhere near the connection speed I pay for. But what can you do? Woohoo...

But if we do get service like that satellite at a reasonable price that will be awesome.

There isnt much space in space when you get down to brass tacks. There is so much space debre floating around that recently some satellites had to be moved to a higher orbit to avoid contact. More Information Here if you'd like to take a look.

I do like the idea of high speed access from remote locations. It would be very nice to go to a cabin in the middle of nowhere and still be able to download your NetFlix movie in a few minutes.

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Sure you get a nice download speed. But what about upload? If live out in the country you are going to have only a 64kbps per second connection up for the reply packets. So unless they work out someone to make the down connection more streamlined you won't be seeing the speed. Or are they gonna have a satellite uplink in all peoples homes?
    Need a sig

well im sure it will require a special dual LNB type dish.

Do you remember the little automated satellite dishes in the movie congo? Thoes would be uber sweet!

Is awesome

What about low flying (100k feet) solar powered flying machines?

I think we need more research into these instead of satellites. Much closer, and not cluttering space (just the unused flightspace).
    You love my sig.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

We need a Moon Base!

...although the ping would be horrid and it would probably only work during the night...

What am I saying? Its a Moon Base! Totally worth it as far as I'm concerned. ^_^
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J-Roc View Post
    I do like the idea of high speed access from remote locations. It would be very nice to go to a cabin in the middle of nowhere and still be able to download your NetFlix movie in a few minutes.
    Doesn't that defeat the purpose of 'getting away from it all'? I know I enjoy trips out to my parents place because:

A. There is no cell phone service, and work does not have my parents' phone number.

B. There is no internet service at my parents'. Yes, it is available, but they do not have it.

C. I can shoot my rifles and not worry about getting ticketed for disturbing the peace or having to pay exorbitant rifle range fees.

D. Home cooking.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream