Thread: 8800 GTX water cooled Tutorial

Wink 8800 GTX water cooled Tutorial

This is the first Tutorial I make in my life so don't be harsh on me.

This tutorial is about installing a Danger Den 88GTX waterblock on the NV8800GTX, I think it will work also on other GFX cards from the 8800 serie. But I will be talking about the GTX. (As seen below.)

! Step 1 Checking

Before you remove the original cooler from the the GFX card. You should check the contents of the package. Is it complete? Yes, than its time to move on, but if you find out its NO you are glad you haven't removed the cooler yet. so you can still use it. Until you have what you need.

So we checked everything and its complete.

(^ Nice )

Step 2 Disassembly

Gather some tools. you'll need.
    • Rubber gloves (for the thermal grease step)
    • Screwdriver (a small + version)
    • a pair of scissors
    • Tissue paper

When you have your tools we can start with the disassembly
    Loosen the 4pin connector (circled in green Below)

Now you can loosen(and remove) the two screws (green) seen below.

Now you can flip the GFX card, and access the screws there. as you can see I have color coded them green and red. you should remove the green screws first and the red ons after that. This is so you can release the tension on the card evenly.

Once you loosened everything I pointed out you should be able to take the cooler from the GFX card do this slowly, and do not bend the card in the progress. maybe it will be stuck due the thermal grease but eventually with a little effort it will come off.
    (sorry had flash on) this is what it should look like)

Step 3 Cleaning

Cleaning the cards memory and GPU. maybe some thermal pads remained on the GFX card. you should remove them, so you can access the components behind them. I used a dry tissue paper to clean of the residue on the components. take your time. don't rush (this goes for all by the way).
    after a wile it should be like this(below)

Step 4 Thermal grease

Danger Den included a tube of thermal grease. I decided to use It but you can also choose a thermal compound of your own liking.

first I applied small amounts of it on the RAM memory and spread it evenly with my finger (with gloves on). in some cases added a little more. I repeated this with the GPU itself.

When you finished this job you can move on to the next part the thermal pads Danger Den included with the water block. here comes the scissor into play, you have to cut the thermal pads to size. Since you have only a large one and you need multiple small ones. (the instructions DD gave with the package tell you where to add them) when you are finished you should have something that looks like this.

Step 5 Waterblock assembly

place the waterblock on its back and place the card over slowly over it, at the same time aligning the holes. Now you can screw on the new screws with there washers and there rubber o-rings now you tighten them the other way around first the red ones then the green screws.
    Warning!! do not over tighten the screws check the card for bending if nessasary loosen the screws some bit.

Nice isn't it. you are ready to go and add it to the water loop of your new creation. have fun and happy modding

yours Cheron.

Default Re: 8800 GTX water cooled Tutorial

very nice and well thought out. i would add that you should open the water block and clean it out, they don't always get everything.

+rep!
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

OMG you have the same video card as me haha, ASUS EN8800GTX. Nice tutorial mate. I will post one of mine with a Swiftech MCW-60 installation once I get around to it.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

I would love to see some other variations (cooling wise) for this card.

Fresh Paint

hmm I dont know how "advanced computer user" you are but I would say

that in "step 4" when you say
    "I applied small amounts of it on the RAM memory and spread it evenly with my finger (with gloves on). in some cases added a little more. I repeated this with the GPU itself"

I would say "that's a huege amount of Thermal grease you are using and that it schuld onley be a reeeeely thin layer cuse if you have two mutch Thermal grease then your GPU will get hot"
    (Thermal grease is onley for "filling up the microscopic layer diffrences in the metall"),
    btw old Thermal grease has better effect then new one cuse its "worked in" (it takes like 1 year to get the most effect of your Thermal grease)

so conclusen is: its bad (for your GPU) to have two much/little Thermal grease, but it schuld be a reeley thin layer

fella you should post this on the TBCS Wiki, its very good quick tutorial with very good pics
    Basic Math:
    1 + 1 = 2
    1 * 1 = 1