Thread: Onboard LAN woes after new build

ATX Mental Case

Default Onboard LAN woes after new build

I'm going to try to give you guys as much information as possible so that hopefully somebody can help me. I bought a Biostar P4M900-M4 socket 478 motherboard an 8600GT XXX and 2Gigs of RAM. Everything installed okay except for the onboard LAN. I am running Windows XP Home, and after reactivating my copy of windows, I installed my drivers. It seemed to go alright. Except I can't get the Onboard LAN to work.

I have ruled out the possibility of hardware failure by using a bootable version of Linux, it picked up on all my hardware right away, except for the special settings for the 8600GT (understandable). I was able to surf the web perfectly. Whenever I plug in the CAT5 to the RJ45, I get both LEDs solid. They do not blink. Under Linux they blink like normal during data transfer.

I even tried to install a PCI LAN card, and I was met with the same Code 31 error in device manager. The same thing happened on the LEDs of this card as well.

I have tried multiple drivers (read: 13) and none have worked. The board wants to give drivers for a VIA Rhine II. I've tried every "compatible driver" but after they are done installing, they just give me the same message.

As of now, I am looking into how to Flash a BIOS. The BIOS version is from 8/28/07, so I don't know if it will help.

If I can provide any more info that might help, don't be afraid to ask. I just want to play some Counterstrike.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    E2180 (2.0ghz) | 2GB DDR2 800 Tracers | 8600GT 256mb | XFX 610i nForce mobo | Lanbox Lite
    Intel Atom 230 - 1.6ghz | 2GB DDR2-667 | 945GCLF Mini-ITX | Apex MI-100 case

Default Re: Onboard LAN woes after new build

Sounds like something went wrong in your Windows XP install. All I can think of it to try reinstalling windows.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

ATX Mental Case

Windows XP Home was already installed on the hard drive. I guess I should have mentioned that. It is a legitimate copy from my old emachines computer. I have a problem though, I bought the computer when it was on a special deal, and they never gave me a boot-up CD. It was the floor model, so I basically carried it out of the store myself.

I do have the manual though, as well as the product-key. Can I boot off a different CD and use my old product-key?

Otherwise I'm going to contact my uncle and obtain a VLP key for XP Pro.
    E2180 (2.0ghz) | 2GB DDR2 800 Tracers | 8600GT 256mb | XFX 610i nForce mobo | Lanbox Lite

yes you can use your original key with an other install cd. at leased i have done so many times, never had problems.

ATX Mental Case

Thanks for that. Now I can install XP Home on my second computer.

I installed XP Pro with a VLP, and I have Internet now. The only downside is that now I have to reinstall every single one of my games. Mods can close the topic if they want.

You can actually close the topic yourself if you want
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!