Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Baddest Modded Case Contest!

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: The Baddest Modded Case Contest!

lol, yeah, big fan of Batman which is where I got some inspiration for the above unnamed sketch, Dark Knight comes out on my birthday too, lolz.

OK, so here's my entry (I can still enter right?)

I decided to build a rocket!, nah, really a space shuttle attached to an external fuel tank on a launch tower. I know the model I built is not finished yet, but I don't think I'll be able to update before the competition ends. Anyways, here are some pictures first, I'll say something about it later:

Overview picture:

Side-view picture:

Front-view picture:

Not finished
    So, like I said, the thing is not finished. Obviously the tower and external fuel tank will be connected. The connection will be the same kind of design as the main tower. there will be a connection at the top of the tower and one near the bottom of the external fuel tank (about the height of the HDD)

Size
    As you can see I had to make quite a big rocket to fit all the goodies inside. The external fuel tank (EFT) is 168mm in diameter (scale 1:50) which makes a total height of about 1.2 meters! (4ft)

MoBo
    The motherboard fitted inside this 'case' will be a miniITX board. Because those board are quite small and are also able to be fitted with a reasonable processor.

Power supply
    I was thinking about where to put the power supply for this thing and I thought it would be difficult to place somewhere in the case. So I decided to put in a PicoPSU (linky) so I wouldn't have to worry about a bog size PSU. The PicoPSU does need a 12V feed though, so a 220-12V (or 110-12) power adapter will be needed. This will fit in the top section of the external fuel tank (EFT).

Airflow
    Components need cooling, we all know that. I tried to figure out a way to get airflow through the system, yet I didn't want to compromise on the looks. There will be a 120mm intake fan at the bottom of the EFT. Off course the air needs to go somewhere, so there will be a smaller 80mm exhaust-fan just above the I/O-panel of the mobo. I think this will be enough airflow, because the ITX-system will probably not produce a lot of heat anyway.

Optical drive
    Now I needed an optical drive. actually this was the first thing I thought about. You know the space shuttles have the doors on top, for the satelites... well, they open up and behind them you'll find a slim-line slot-in optical drive. This drive will sit just above the motherboard. It will be a bit cramped, but I think it'll work. Behind the doors is also room for usb and sound things.

HDD
    The hard drive will sit in the bottom part of the EFT and shuttle. It'll sit near/in the airflow of the intake fan, so heat won't be a problem.

Wires
    The wires coming from the I/O-panel of the motherboard will run through the launch tower to the bottom. From there on the will run behind desks and all sorts of stuff to hide the wires going to the wall-socket (power) and monitor etc.

Lights
    I want this thing to look a lot like a real launch tower thing, so there won't be a lot of lights. BUT there will be lights in the nozzles of the solid-fuel rocket boosters and the space shuttle (nozzles not on picture). I was thinking about yellow/orange/red LEDs to symbolize the fire coming from the nozzles.

power/reset buttons
    the power button and reset button will be placed on a 'launch-panel' at the bottom of the 'case'. they will look like launch-buttons.

[edit]:
    back of the case:
    (the tower is hidden on this picture)

The backpanel will be at the back . there will be a cut-out on the back and the mobo will sit a few cm from the back. This way the connectors (plugs) of the wires will be a bit hidden inside the EFT. I also added a fan just above the I/O-panel. Keep in mind that the EFT is 168mm in diameter and the motherboard is 170mm. So when the motherboard is placed a fair bit in the shuttle (about 100mm high) there is room enough to make the I/O-panel sunk into the EFT.

I think I explained about everything, but if someone has any questions of any kind, please let me know and I'll try to explain it some more.

- silverdemon -

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Thank you for your entry. Where's the I/O port going to stick out at?

Anyone need an extension? We can push it back if need be. I'd rather not cut off any potential entries.
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Fresh Paint

I'm not sure if I need one. An extension would be nice but I'm *so* bad at making myself do things. My designs are done, just gotta draw up my good ones and scan in the current ones to show what's changed. I'll probably do it tomorrow night when I'm on my comp a lot being lazy (4 hours of maths does that to you ).

I added a picture of the back of my case in my post (#52). If something is still not clear please let me know.

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Thanks.

Contest pushed back again. I'm sorry I work waaay too many days and don't have the time to officiate. New date (and last) is April 8th
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

yay, still working on making mine look pretty <_<

I guess I have another question on the judgin criteria.. do they have to be feasible, functioning cases? As in, when judging are you going to include function or just go for straight artistic form? My design will probably change depending on what you're looking for.

Xtrykr: Really cool design. My first thought was a T-47 Airspeeder (snow speeder) from Star Wars.

silverdemon: Cool concept. I wonder how the engine lights would look if you connected them to the activity LED.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Xtrykr: Really digging the design, my first impression was it kinda looks like a T-47 Airspeeder (snowspeeder) from star wars.

silverdemon: Like the design, I was wondering how it would look if you hooked up the engine lights to act as the activity LED.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Quote Originally Posted by chaksq View Post
    ...silverdemon: Cool concept. I wonder how the engine lights would look if you connected them to the activity LED.
    Quote Originally Posted by chaksq View Post
    ...silverdemon: Like the design, I was wondering how it would look if you hooked up the engine lights to act as the activity LED.
    Thanks, actually the activity-thing would be quite nice! except I would than like it to work the other way around: LED's on at no activity and blinking at activity (so the LEDs will be on most of the time...)

Why did you post twice? :S