Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paintball

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Default Paintball

Anybody else play? I got me a Tippmann 98 Custom Pro today, can't wait for it to arrive. First paintball marker, hope to play woodsball or scenario often.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Default Re: Paintball

Yep. I have a Spider Rodeo.

There is a Exhibition coarse nearby with all the inflatables.

Some Paintball action.

Last edited by Eclecticos; 03-09-2008 at 04:58 AM.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Anybody else play? I got me a Tippmann 98 Custom Pro today, can't wait for it to arrive. First paintball marker, hope to play woodsball or scenario often.
    You should be pretty happy with that marker, its a good one. The 98 Custom Pro and the A5 are two of the best markers for people who are just starting to people who have been playing for years in my opinion.

If you have the cash, I would say go for a Flatline Barrel. When I was using the Tippmann A5 w/ Flatline I got much farther shots than I could before and they were more accurate too. Obviously longer shots are harder to pull off since accuracy goes down over distance, but the Flatline helps correct that. Here is a... "review"... kind of. This guy isn't that great, but meh, good enough. LINK

*Story Time! If you don't care, just skip this part.* :-P

My very first paintball marker was a "Brass Eagle II" or something like that. It looked pretty similar to this one, I think that is a newer model though. It only cost me $19.99! And that was the sticker price! lol /years ago

After that thing broke during the first month of use, let alone that it couldn't even break the paintballs on targets more than twenty feet away, I decided to stop being a total cheap-o and start being a regular cheap-o.

So I went down to the army salvation store and picked up a Spyder Victor II, a 24oz Co2 Tank and a box of 2000 mixed color paintballs.

It was an okay Marker, not the best by a long shot, but... well it was the worse of the real paintball markers. But hey, it wasn't made of plastic and it was a hundred times better than that "Brass Eagle" pos, so I was pretty happy.

...until I was dueling, got shot in the sack and dropped it onto a rock which busted the handle off. I could of repaired it, or at least ordered a new part to fix it, but summer was pretty much over so it was kind of whatever.

It was either the year after or the year after that when I got to use my friends Tippmann A5 that was decked out with all the goodies. It ended up costing him something like 600 dollars for the whole package, but it was so worth it. That thing was A BEAST. /End of Story
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    You should be pretty happy with that marker, its a good one. The 98 Custom Pro and the A5 are two of the best markers for people who are just starting to people who have been playing for years in my opinion.

If you have the cash, I would say go for a Flatline Barrel. When I was using the Tippmann A5 w/ Flatline I got much farther shots than I could before and they were more accurate too. Obviously longer shots are harder to pull off since accuracy goes down over distance, but the Flatline helps correct that. Here is a... "review"... kind of. This guy isn't that great, but meh, good enough.
    I heard that the 98 series was great for beginners, that's why I looked into one. I want to get a cyclone feed, reflex trigger, and a flatline barrel, too. I just need to save my money a bit. I've got ~$75 right now but I plan on spending that on charging my tank and getting paintballs so I can go play as soon as possible.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs

I heard that the 98 series was great for beginners, that's why I looked into one. I want to get a cyclone feed, reflex trigger, and a flatline barrel, too. I just need to save my money a bit. I've got ~$75 right now but I plan on spending that on charging my tank and getting paintballs so I can go play as soon as possible.
    Nice man, thats going to be a sweet setup. I believe thats the same as the setup I used, except with an A5. There might of been a few other things, but those are the main addons that it had I'm pretty sure. /Jealous

The salvation army store recharged our tanks for free, or if he wasn't having great business that week he would only charge us a couple bucks each. That old dude was so awesome. He had 2000ct packages of paintballs for like twenty bucks too, sometimes on sale for $9.99-$14.99, so sweet. Lasted a good couple days, although we had to refill our tanks every other game or more.

The one thing I would say stay away from are the electronic hoppers. They just aren't worth the money to me, they're more of a novelty item in my opinion. Normal hoppers work just fine, just make sure you get a decent quality one (I believe you get one with the Cyclone Feed System). You don't want your lid flapping open during a shoot out, just to lose all your paintballs and get shot down 'cause you ran out of ammo. Thats happened to me a few times. Apparently, "stop! stop! my hopper fell off again!" somehow translates into "unload what you got on him at point blank range boys!". T_T

...Speaking of which, you might want to play with friends who aren't complete assholes. lol

...also, if you decide to duel. For the love of god, wear proper protection, don't drop your gun and don't flinch. If you flinch, they get two more shots. >.<

Also, just as a couple fun facts. If you get shot in the helmet at point blank, it could leave blood marks on your face in the same shape as the vents. I think thats pretty cool really, kind of like a battle mark. :p Then another kind of weird thing is if you get shot in the neck where your skin is exposed, it looks like a vampire gave you a hickey. lol
    Last edited by Zephik; 03-09-2008 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Meh, I'm bored. lol
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

mmm. paintball. My first marker was a Indian Creek Alley Cat. it was a good beginners gun and it was nice because it had both a horizontal rear feed and a vertical feed in front of the handle. I would usually keep a 12oz on the back and a 6oz backup with an on/off valve vertical for backup. Hardly ever broke any paint in the chamber and even with the stock barrel it would keep accurate pretty far. I let a 'friend' borrow it for a game and that s the last I saw of that. It seems like no one wants to get rid of the Alley Cat because I've been searching ebay for years now and I can find the Thunder Cat but no Alley Cats.

I need to get a new one, a few of the crew like to play and they really want to do some sort of team thing here. The 98 was one I was looking at and if I really wanted to give myself so good backup I was looking into a Tiberium Arms pistol. I am constantly checking out the a paintballing site called Special Ops Paintball. You can find games in the US and buy equiptment.

What does everybody get charged to fill a tank around here. When I was playing on the East Coast the guy was charging me $2.00 to fill up to a 12oz tank.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

Quote Originally Posted by Bopher View Post
    What does everybody get charged to fill a tank around here. When I was playing on the East Coast the guy was charging me $2.00 to fill up to a 12oz tank.
    Free - $4.99 to fill up 24oz tank. I guess it depended on how well business was doing that week. Then again, we always bought something when we went there, usually paintballs, so maybe thats why he would sometimes give us free refills.
    Last edited by Zephik; 03-09-2008 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Just thought of something...

ATX Mental Case

i have played paintball for the last 4 years, http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=1 i the one in the grey hoodie.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    Nice man, thats going to be a sweet setup. I believe thats the same as the setup I used, except with an A5. There might of been a few other things, but those are the main addons that it had I'm pretty sure. /Jealous

The salvation army store recharged our tanks for free, or if he wasn't having great business that week he would only charge us a couple bucks each. That old dude was so awesome. He had 2000ct packages of paintballs for like twenty bucks too, sometimes on sale for $9.99-$14.99, so sweet. Lasted a good couple days, although we had to refill our tanks every other game or more.

The one thing I would say stay away from are the electronic hoppers. They just aren't worth the money to me, they're more of a novelty item in my opinion. Normal hoppers work just fine, just make sure you get a decent quality one (I believe you get one with the Cyclone Feed System). You don't want your lid flapping open during a shoot out, just to lose all your paintballs and get shot down 'cause you ran out of ammo. Thats happened to me a few times. Apparently, "stop! stop! my hopper fell off again!" somehow translates into "unload what you got on him at point blank range boys!". T_T

...Speaking of which, you might want to play with friends who aren't complete assholes. lol

...also, if you decide to duel. For the love of god, wear proper protection, don't drop your gun and don't flinch. If you flinch, they get two more shots. >.<

Also, just as a couple fun facts. If you get shot in the helmet at point blank, it could leave blood marks on your face in the same shape as the vents. I think thats pretty cool really, kind of like a battle mark. :p Then another kind of weird thing is if you get shot in the neck where your skin is exposed, it looks like a vampire gave you a hickey. lol
    The salvation army store recharged your tanks, eh? Sounds pretty good to me. I should see if the local store in my area does that. Or just look around for cheap paintballs. most of them are $50 for a case of 2000...

Refilling a tank every other game? Dear christ! I ran a 12oz tank for five matches then a 20oz tank until I was too poor to pay for more paint! Kinda glad the 98C comes with a 20oz tank (or at least the 98C I'm getting, tank, facemask, pods, pod belt and a squeegee).

Oh, and that five matches was unloading a whole 200rd hopper per round.

I'm not friends with people who are assholes. The group of guys I went paintballing with last time were pretty cool. They might complain a little bit that you hit them but it was all good fun and by the end of the day we were still good friends.

I'm pretty sure that if I yelled "I'm out of ammo!" I'd get mowed down as well. My hopper came open when I was playing last time and somebody shot the lid, it swung down and closed. Didn't count as a hit since the ball didn't break, and it closed my hopper. One hell of a conversation starter, too.

I've seen firsthand how electronic hoppers help. I've had to rock my gun to get paintballs to feed (well, the rental gun) with the gravity hopper, and one of the guys playing with an electronic hopper never had that problem. Now, if I'm going to upgrade my hopper it'll be cyclone for sure, though. Sure feed + double digit pbps = perfect.

I don't plan on doing duels but I didn't flinch even when I got shot twice in the face so I should be fine there =p

EDIT: It's $5 to fill up a 20oz tank at NorCal Paintball, which is my local field.

Refilling a tank every other game? Dear christ! I ran a 12oz tank for five matches then a 20oz tank until I was too poor to pay for more paint! Kinda glad the 98C comes with a 20oz tank (or at least the 98C I'm getting, tank, facemask, pods, pod belt and a squeegee).

12oz tank for five games? Dear christ! Squeeze that trigger every once and awhile man. lol nah just kidding, that probably just means that your a better shot than I am.

How long is each game? We used to just play out in a nearby forested area all day long. We even had trenches and bunkers dug out, complete with hidden turret areas in the bushes and tree's.

Good times right there, being chased down, only to dive down into a hole or up a tree you know about that they don't and evade them until they pass you, pop back up or down and into a nearby bush and let fire onto their backs.

I'm pretty sure that if I yelled "I'm out of ammo!" I'd get mowed down as well. My hopper came open when I was playing last time and somebody shot the lid, it swung down and closed. Didn't count as a hit since the ball didn't break, and it closed my hopper. One hell of a conversation starter, too.

LOL

I don't plan on doing duels but I didn't flinch even when I got shot twice in the face so I should be fine there =p

Yea, same here, its just that I had my eyes closed and the shots were in rapid succession. lol
    Another thing you might want to look into picking up is a utility belt or vest or something like that, to hold a couple quick loaders. They aren't necessary, but they sure can be handy when you need them! Better than sticking them in your pockets at least, that can be rather bothersome after a couple minutes. Especially if you hit a tree, snapping the top open unnoticed, so when you go to reach for it you find it half empty. >.<