Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Project: Ultimate Arcade!

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: Project: Ultimate Arcade!

Sound activated cathodes to backlight the kickpanel or overhead? that would be sweet.
    Thoughts become words, words become actions, actions become habits, habits become character, character becomes destiny...

Rankenphile

Minor update. I spent the weekend applying coats of flat black to the parts I need, and made a shopping trip Sunday morning and found the stereo that will serve as the sound system controller for the cabinet. The best part? I found it at Value Village. For $5.00. And it turned out that it was half off.

It's just a dinky old component amp with stereo input and output, with RCA jacks. It has a tape deck and dual channel volume control. Nothing fancy at all, but exactly what I was looking for. And on the bottom, it even had the complete component diagram stapled to it, so I can always test and replace any electrical component in it if I need to.

I'll be testing it out this week, and figuring out the speaker placement, along with building the rack that will hold it and the Xbox stand itself. I'll keep you posted.

ATX Mental Case

This is a cool project. One thing I thought of is your comment about having to go into the cabinet to boot the XBox because you have to hold the two buttons for 3 seconds. There are two ways around that. I assume they are both momentary switches just like the power switch on the PC. So that means you could simply wire them up with an extension and put the buttons anywhere you want, or even wire them together so that it is just one button.

Heck you could even do both and end up with three buttons: Power, Reset, and BootMod
    ================================================== =========
    "And when you kill a man you're a murderer. Kill many and you're a conqueror. Kill them all and you're a God." - Megadeth

Rankenphile

Interesting thought... I'll consider it. Thanks DN.

wow!!! its usually 2 am in the morn when i come here to post, and i usually just update and go

but seeing this in the front page made me come for a looksee!

sooo glad i did mate! this is shaping up awsome, ive seen ppl dickaround with pc's inside these but the idea of using the xbox is soo darn perfect!!! i love it!!

WTG mate can't wait to see more

Rankenphile

Thanks Defyant I've got some really hot ideas for this, this is just the beginning. In the next week or two, I should have some of the really cool supplies coming in - I just heard back from X-Arcade, who I am getting the control stick from, and there was a problem with my order - my own fault, not theirs, so I wont be receiving the controller until early next week, which is a setback, but there is still plenty to get done on this, so I wont let it slow me down too much.

I'll be doing some more work on this tomorrow night, and should have more to show after that. Tonight I'm busy with a freelance design job, but I'll have some pretty cool things coming up soon, with any luck at all.

How was everyone's Halloween? I went with my girlfriend and some friends to see Rocky Horror at the nearby university, and had a good time. Nothing like a whole crowd of people shouting "SLUT!" at Susan Sarandon every time she appears on screen.

Rankenphile

Quick update - I received some supplies today and bought some more at Michael's Craft Store. I'm still waiting for some others, but things are coming together.

Sorry for the vague post, but I promise I'll have a big update tomorrow, with details and pictures. I'll be able to start some of the more artistic aspects of this project tomorrow evening.

Edit: Almost forgot - if you liked my pumpkins above, you really ought to see the winner and honorable mentions from Blizzard's World of Warcraft-themed pumpkin carving contest. All I've got to say is :omg:

Rankenphile

Well, this isn't the big update I was planning on having. I did some preliminary painting last night, after cutting out a stencil, and I have to say I am not pleased. The paint ran underneath and the ClearNeon paint works, but not as well as I was hoping - on fine lettering, the stencil actually wicked away the paint while it was wet, preventing it from leaving a good coat.

I'm going back to the drawing board on the painting thing. Anyone recommend a good way to stencil, or a cheap way to create small silk-screens?

On the plus side, I left the memory card for my camera at work, so I didn't get any ugly pictures. :p I'll take a couple to show you what NOT to do tonight, if I get a chance, while I puzzle over how to fix it.

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Rank,
    What did you use as a stencil? paper Cardboard?.....With out knowing try thin plastic, or better yet stop at your local sign shop and pick up a couple feet of vinyl paint mask (it's thinish clear or frosted vinyl) cut your pattern out then peel the back off and stick it to your work area, paint over it let the paint dry. Then peel the mask off (may need to lightly run a hobby knife around the edges if they look like they'll pull up paint.) Pro's use this allot for custom paint Check out this article (it's over at pimprig...They've got a great paint guy!)
    Painting with Stencils

Good Luck (pics please!!)

Crazybillybob

Rankenphile

I used clear Contact Paper (very thin vinyl, used for cold lamination) and a repositionable spray adhesive.

I'll take a look at some of that stuff. Thanks CBB.

On a side note, I did some looking around today and found some home silk-screening equipment, built almost like a toy, for making cards. If I can find it and take a look at it, I may invest in it, as it would be very handy. It came with a tiny exposer unit and everything.