Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Project: Ultimate Arcade!

Rankenphile

Default Re: Project: Ultimate Arcade!

So today I asked at work if they had any leftover scraps of plexi. There was only one guy int he shop, as it is Friday and most of the crew works four 10's. He was like, "Oh, sure, yeah we do. Right over here."

He moves a board, and there are three BIG pieces of plexi. Crystal clear, no scratches, and at least 24"x36"! FREE! WOOHOO!!!

I was expecting a few odd off-cuts, but here is a ton of plexi, more than I'll end up using for this project, most likely! All in great shape, 1/8" thick and perfect.

I'll get some more info up soon - it looks like it will be clear this weekend, so I'll only have nights to work on the cabinet, but I'll get SOMETHING on it done. I'm on a roll now, and want to keep up the momentum.

Ooo..Nice scroll saw--looks like a variable speed model too--perfect for plastics and other shtuff.
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

Rankenphile

Ecks-ACKly!

Rankenphile

So, I got a bunch dug out from under the house today, in preparation for the foundation, as well as cut down a bunch of ugly trees that were taking up a ton of room in the yard. In project news, I have the first LED box redo about half done. I've gotta finish cutting a few dividers, the subfloor for the LEDs to get mounted to, and the actual back of the piece, as well as the plexi front panel. I also need to get the containing box for the circuit itself built. I'm figuring a lot of it out as I go, off of a single sketch I drew of the whole thing. It is working out VERY well, so far, and assembly should be very easy and clean. A few of the interior holes are a bit rougher than I would like ideally, but they certainly suffice. Again, they will be hidden, so the only ones who will know will be me, and you guys, of course.

I've gotta pick up another set of rechargeable batteries for the camera tomorrow. I've gotta get up early and get to work on the house, which only leaves evenings for this stuff, but the LED box is nearly done, and I'll post pics of the whole assembly as soon as I get a little more progress. I've gotta build a whole second set, as soon as I get this one done, so don't worry - I'll document the whole process.

I'll keep ya posted.

Rankenphile

Today we managed to get the entire rest of the house dug out, and finished stacking all of the cut branches from the lilac bush and the boxwood shrub, as well as the cedar branches from the trees we took down yesterday. I've got the LED box almost entirely cut, I have three more pieces - the bottom, one side and the plexi front, and I'll be all set. I left the camera in the barn, but I actually have batterues that seem to last long enough to get some good shots, which is nice.

I'll try to finish it tomorrow and post pics as soon as I have them.

ATX Mental Case

Need...more...ultimate...arcade!!!!

Rankenphile

Lol...

Things have been busy, with Thanksgiving coming up and all. I won't have any time tonight or tomorrow, but will have all day Friday to spend working on the box, and will have an update soon, I promise. I'm just about ready to get the first LED box working.

I'll keep ya posted.

Rankenphile

First off, let me apologize, I know I’m overdue for an update, but I just haven’t had anything to share. I’ve been so busy, what with Thanksgiving, getting ready for Christmas and such that I really didn’t have the time I was hoping for this weekend to work on the cabinet. I actually spent a couple days using SketchUp to create mock layouts for our house, before we start the remodel. We’ve come up with a layout that we think is ideal, and should allow us plenty of room while being as efficient as possible. We will submit it to the architect this week and get his feedback, but I’m really positive about it. It looks like it could work out well, and it will be SO nice to finally get back to a place of my own.

I’ve still got plans to keep the cabinet going, but bear with me, things are a bit complicated in the rest of my life right now, so this has to take on a lower priority than some of the other messes I’ve got to straighten out. I WILL get progress on this soon, and will share everything I have with you guys, but it may take a little while.

By the way, if anyone here has ever wanted to try their hand at 3D modeling, but were intimidated by the steep learning curve, I highly recommend checking out SketchUp. It is an incredibly intuitive program, and their website features a number of very simple video tutorials. The demo allows for up to eight hours of use before they ask you to register, and it is very worth it.

Fresh Paint

now that i finally got my profile working, i just wanted to tell you, rank, that i've been following your mod for a while. it sounds like a great idea. also i just want to tell you that ths is probobly not he most important thing you're doing at the moment. so take it easy. get what you need to get done done.o. and good luck on getting a job after the holliday season.

Rankenphile

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Napalm
    now that i finally got my profile working, i just wanted to tell you, rank, that i've been following your mod for a while. it sounds like a great idea. also i just want to tell you that ths is probobly not he most important thing you're doing at the moment. so take it easy. get what you need to get done done.o. and good luck on getting a job after the holliday season.
    Heh, thanks, Sarge. Welcome to TBCS. I've actually shelved this mod until after the holidays - it looks like my job is actually pretty secure for the time being, at least through February. There will be some changes in the company structure after the first of the year, and we'll see what happens then, but I'm working on finishing up some plans for this mod, and will be back in full swing come January. I've got some neat ideas, and a couple surprises in store, so keep checking back, and thanks for the kind words. It's driving me nuts not being able to work on it like I want to, but probably just as well, because it's DAMN cold outside! LOL