Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for some modding advice...

Anodized

Default Re: Looking for some modding advice...

I friend of mine has his computer in a desk like that and had some overheating problems. All he did was take his side panel off the computer case and open the door of the desk. So maybe you could cut a bigger hole where the precut hole is and add one or two fans. But I think most importantly for you is to take the side panel off of the case. Or another thought may be to cut a hole in the back panel of the desk so your powersupply and any other fans you have sucking air out of your computer goes directly out of the desk.

Fresh Paint

SNAP
    I have exactly the same case that i am using for my doom 3 case mod :p :p
    Rock on!!!

Ok, here's an update on the desk mod I'm doing. Sorry it's been a while. I had problems logging in to update this thread.
    First off, I decided AGAINST putting the 2 80 mm fans into the front door panel with a vent in the front. I figured since there was an existing pre-cut hole area in the side, it would be best to use that instead, and then cut out a hole in the back to vent out the hot air through the back. Since this is now the plan I began work.
    I first cut the hole in the back with a hole saw bit. I didn't realize how deep the wood actually went, but let me tell you, NEVER cut a hole with a 12 volt battery drill! It took me an hour to cut through 3/4" inch of some solid maple oak wood. But I was finally through.
    Next was reorganizing cable placement. I found another round hole WAY up near the top of the desk, so I rerouted almost all of my cables through that hole. That way, I can manage the mess underneath my desk. By adding a couple of cable clips for the wires, it's amazing how nicer it looked and functioned.
    That's where I've left off so far. I'm planning to get the smaller fans and the large fan installed and wired, so I can begin testing on the spare PSU. I'll need to get a SinglePost, Singlethrow switch so I can turn the fan units on and off with a flick of the switch. But the work is progressing.