Thread: Welding helmet

Welder Of Aluminum bartvandenberg's Avatar

Default Welding helmet

Now, i know this is not a computer mod, and that is what this site is all about, but.. i did this as practice for a mod i plan on doing.

i just got an aerocool case from my brother in law for getting him a new case (coolermaster 690) and installing his hardware in it.

(BTW, the coolermaster 690 is an awesome case to build in. both ease, room, quality and so on. and i picked a couple up for $70 bucks canadian, which is a pretty good price for a decent case IMO)

so.. anywho. i know its been a long time since ive been on here. life is just too busy for me to sit and relax long enough to start a mod or do anything other than construction/reno's on my house. but. i did.

took my bland and boring welding helmet home one night and picked up some fiberglassing materials. ive always wanted to try to fiberglass before, so.. figured might as well make my lid better than everyone else's at work. since there are only 2 types of solar lensed helmets allowed at my work, everyone has the same helmet as like 50 other people.

here is the original helmet. i didnt take a picture of my own personal one, but. this is almost exactly what it looked like brand new.....

sorry i dont have a full worklog, if anyone even cares. and i dont have all the steps either. i always forget to take pictures.

so. i fiberglassed a respirator on. here i left the cute pink filters on, jsut for your viewing pleasure.

but then i thought.. well. that will look super plain, and im adding a bit of weight to the front of the helmet, so.. it will constantly fall down in front of my face when im doing anything, like fitting little peices or cuttin stuff on the bandsaw.. so .. i had to add some texture to the whole thing. thus evening out the wieght a bit better, and now the whole thing has a cool texture. i brushed all the strand towards the back of the helmet, because i was goin to borrow my brothers airbrusher and do some flames or something.. but.. then he told me its broken, so. i had to change my plans.

gave it a good sand and filed it down a bit....

and added a biohazard symbol. decided to go for a toxic welding look. cant say i wasnt thinking of a half life feeling helmet though...

then i skipped a few steps without pictures. the paint, and more paint coats, and sanding, and more paint coats...... and ended up with this.....

down the side, so you can see the texture a bit better...

and then a darker one, different light, different camera setting

now.. the last pics are only with one coat of clear on it. and obviously the lense isnt in the helmet yet. or a new clear visor that hasnt been painted. all in all, i put 4 coats of high heat green on, 2 coats of high heat black, and 5 coats of high heat clear.

used it all day today, welding steel, and gettin spatter all over the helmet, and it still looks beautiful. a little smoky, but.. the paint stands up. in fact, i was damn near welding my face i was soo close just tryin to see if the paint really did have such high heat resistance, and so far so good. ill try to think about taking a picture of it now fnished since it looks a lot nice and cleaner with a few nice coats of clear and some sanding. these last pics are rough one coat clear, no sanding yet.

and the best thing, the green does glow a little when im welding. looks pretty neat....

next thing is to match my airpack to the helmet. and maybe ill fiberglass my next shell to be like master cheif's from halo. spend some good quality time doin this.

tell me what you guys think.

Link To Original Worklog

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...G%5D%5B/URL%5D
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 03-22-2008 at 02:36 AM.