Thread: Here's the Skinny.

Fresh Paint

Default Here's the Skinny.

Hi everyone,

I am new here, just signed up today. I've been lurking for a few days, had some questions, looks like a good forum so I decided to sign up.

Here's the situation I am having.

About 3-4 weeks ago I purchased some parts for my new system, it's nothing amazing, but it gets what I need done, and gives me a good system while I save up for a 64 bit, hopefully investing in sometime next week.

The main parts of the system, anyway.
    Athlon XP 2800+
    Asus A7N8X-X
    1024 400mhz PC3200 DDR

I had purchased the parts I needed on a thursday afternoon, and got them together and started to assemble Friday night. By Saturday afternoon it was done and after a few minor adjustments and installs, I got it working. I was greeted at first with a "Floppy Drive Error (40)", I knew there had been some issue with my floppy drive before, so I simply unplugged it, but got the same error, however it didn't affect the system any, and I could just skip over the error.

It wasn't until the Sunday afternoon of the same weekend that I realized something, I had downloaded Everest (Diagnostics prog.) and it told me that the processor was only running at 1250mhz (100x12.5). I knew this wasn't right so I tried adjusting bios, reformatting, pretty much everything.

When I tried to adjust it in bios, what would happen is that I would adjust, save and exit bios, then when the computer was supposed to restart it would just sit idle, and the monitor would go into standby mode. I could easily go back into bios (after rebooting the computer) and reset the clock speed, but it still only put it up to 1250.

I asked around, talked to a lot of people and the only really solid explanation we could come up with is something wrong with the motherboard. I thought it may have been leaky capacitors at first, but none of them seemed to be fried, however after contacting the place at which I purchased it, they said that I could just bring it in for an exchange (since it was within the time limit).

I did so the following thursday, and got it all assembled and it was indeed set at 2800+ and working great, still is. I had some issue earlier on in the week with the crashing of games, but that was solved with a reformat (and not the point of the thread).

The issue I am having is that whenever the clock speed is altered, the same thing happens, the monitor goes into standby and I have to reboot. I tinkered last night and managed to get it to clock down to about a 2100+, and could go back and go up to 2800+, but I could not seem to go any higher. I even tried going from default 166x12.5 to 166x13, same thing. I then tried going from 166x12.5 down to 166x9, and the same damn thing happened.

I was going to invest in a new heatsink so I could do this, but if I can't even get it to overclock a little, there isn't much of a point to that.

Does anyone have any idea what this may be due in part to? I checked the temperatures and they all seem to be running okay, I checked the voltage and the processor is getting 1.6v, pretty standard stuff.

There must be something that I am doing wrong.

Thanks.

Default Re: Here's the Skinny.

my suggestion is, dont overclock unless you know exactly what your doing and do it for a hobby, cause your amount of memory is what holds back the speed, not the processor

Default Re: Here's the Skinny.

I would say don't overclock. some processors are their limits when they are sold. Like you r "2800+" could have just barely been a "2800+", and others may have been able to go and pass as a "3200+" but were underclocked to "2800+". So if it can't take the OC, just let it be happy at 2800+.