Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 64 Bit OS worth it?

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Default 64 Bit OS worth it?

I'm debating getting a copy of XP 64bit and was wondering whether there'd be a performance boost or if nothing will work for me? Is it worth it or no?

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Default Re: 64 Bit OS worth it?

Depends how much RAM the system is running. a 32bit OS can't use 4GB of RAM (depends on how much graphics RAM you have). If you have 4GB system RAM and 512MB graphics RAM you could only use 3.5GB of RAM. A 64bit OS wouldn't have this problem.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

I've got 4GB and a 512MB graphics card, lol. What I'm wondering though is whether or not it will be supported by my drivers, games, and all that. Will it blend? I mean... run?

Quote Originally Posted by The boy 4rm oz View Post
    a 32bit OS can't use 4GB of RAM
    This isn't exactly true. Yes, Windows XP 32-bit does not support more than 4GB.

Enabling PAE, Physical Address Extension, extends the physical address size from 32 bits to 36 bits. The OS is still a 32 bit operating system, but now can address up to 64GB IIRC. Applications are still limited to 4GB limit, but more than 4GB is now addressable by the OS.

Linux can handle PAE, as well as other 32-bit windows OS's. Many of the Windows server 2003 32 bit derivatives can handle more than 4GB because it can enable PAE.

I even read in a few places before that PAE can or could be enabled on windows xp 32-bit to allow for more than 4Gb of ram, or atleast address the full 4GB, but the issue is that there are too many poorly written drivers that conflict when the extra 4bits of addressing space open up. But I guess it can be done with PAE, 4GT, and DEP all enabled. But only OS processes can utilize the memory in the last bits as drivers aren't coded to be able to deal with those addresses I guess.

EDIT: And PAE has been able to be used in most 32bit OS's to allow for more than 4GB since the Pentium Pro, so this is nothing new, just obscure. Out of the box 32bit OS == 4GB limitation, but a 32 bit OS isn't just limited to that with the right hardware.
    Some 32-bit OS's with support for more than 4Gb straight from microsofts own site
    Microsoft site explaining PAE
    The server versions support PAE, because most drivers made, support PAE as well, while most XP drivers don't.

On topic, I haven't heard very good things about XP 64-bit. Games appear to suffer from what I hear, but I haven't used it myself to tell you first hand experience. But, from what I've heard, Vista 64-bit is excellent, at least compared to XP64, other than it demanding more resources.

Well, look at my spec's, think Vista 64bit would be worth it?

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

I am using 64bit Vista Home Premium and haven't had any problems with it. I have recently updated to service pack 1 and found that my PC is a bit sluggish but I will be adding another 2GB (4GB total) to my rig. I went over to Vista because I never really liked XP to be honest, looked like crap and felt like crap to me, also has DX10 .
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Windows XP has Dx10 too! I've found a good defrag made the computer more responsive after installing SP1.

If you only have 32-bit programs, it's not much use to go to a 64-bit OS as there could be a degradation of performance.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

I'm really just wondering about how well my games will work. I have a ton of stuff off Steam (but no HL2... go figure), Crysis, CnC3, and Oblivion. Those are what I usually play when I play anything.

EDIT: From what I just saw in those articles it looks like Vista 64 bit is the winner. I'ma go look and see how much that'll run me and possibly upgrade soon. Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    I'm really just wondering about how well my games will work. I have a ton of stuff off Steam (but no HL2... go figure), Crysis, CnC3, and Oblivion. Those are what I usually play when I play anything.

EDIT: From what I just saw in those articles it looks like Vista 64 bit is the winner. I'ma go look and see how much that'll run me and possibly upgrade soon. Thanks guys.

I have vista x64. x64 and x86 are the same price. I paid 159 for mine right from microsofts website. Tip: if you download it from the MS website you will get an ISO image of the OS. Do not use Windows to burn the image to the disk since apparently microsoft forgot a key component in the file that makes into an actual CD. Use Nero or another burning program to burn your image, it makes the necessary adjustments to the file so that it can be played as a CD.