Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 64 Bit OS worth it?

Carpe Apenodytes halcyonforever's Avatar

Default Re: 64 Bit OS worth it?

Ok,
    Some personal experience with XP 64. I would recomend going with Vista, Microsoft is trying to axe XP as quickly as possible (June is listed as cutoff for sales but may be extended), but as a result support for most stuff is very limited, drivers can be hard to find, as most are already looking forward to Vista 64. Not a major difference in games, some shorter load times but most games are 32bit. HL2 x64 has major bugs and no apparent fixes (actually acts like a pirated copy even downloaded through steam).

On the plus side I have found some improvements in stability and some 32 bit games crash LESS even when their support people say that shouldn't be

Is awesome

Waiting would be a good thing if you want x64. The driver support isn't all there yet, so a lot of your stuff wouldn't exactly work yet. Personally, I would dual boot with xp and a little x64. A the x64 gets better and better driver support, you could make the partition bigger and bigger, and eventually if you find you are having absolutely no problems with your vista installation and all the game and driver support is all there, you could get let it take over your computer completely.
    You love my sig.

Vampires are also allergic to bulldozers BerticusPryme's Avatar

I have ran both and currently switched to vista ulitmate x64 and to be honest I havent been happier. Runs great,if you run evga boards then the driver support is beautiful. I went straight to the website and downloaded everyone of them. I really recomend it to anyone questioning the upgrade.

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

It'll be a while before I upgrade as I have things I need to get first (new desk, a car, etc.).

The past couple days I've been realizing how ridiculous prices are. Even when you earn a few bucks over minimum wage everything is still a ripoff. I've been putting things into hours worked instead of dollars spend and for me it's like 5.5-6 hours of work just to get a game that just came out, around 1.5-2.5 hours for a music CD, etc. There's only so many hours every week that a person can work, and there's only so many of those that they actually can work without killing themselves. Prices are way out of it. But yeah... /offtopic in my own thread.

(There's another great name for a store: Off Topic... and not sell emo crap in it either, lol)