Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Counting

Default Re: Counting

the idea to to see who can code there program to count the fastest in there class,

Im going to edit my code in the hope to stop it locking up,

Also the finish date is the 19th of april 2008
    Last edited by XcOM; 04-06-2008 at 03:20 PM.

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

ok, I altered my code a bit, now getting:

1M: 1044ms
    5M: 5186ms

I've got no output file though, do I need to redo this and make an output file?

(using VB6.0 btw, and an intel C2D E8400)

1M: 1.108s
    2M: 2.457s
    5M: 6.221s
    10M: 12.460s
    1Bil: -Estimated time of around 22 minutes, I'll do it later-

What do you think? Oh, I should mention that these were run on my uni laptop (1.6GHz Pent-M, 1GB DDR, 160GB 5400rpm). Expect some lovely benchmarking from my desktop tonight.

EDIT: btw, 2 things to mention. My uni laptop uses Vista Business and also my code is in C.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

I'm thinking for classes, we should do Language with output file and Language without Output file so that it is even and then it is just about the code itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Trace View Post
    I'm thinking for classes, we should do Language with output file and Language without Output file so that it is even and then it is just about the code itself.
    I think the 1Billion one should be replaced by 100Million as unless you have about 4GB of memory you won't have linear results.

What we really need is a way to compare the different systems better, as it's is very obvious that a 2.8ghz C2D kicks the butt of a 3.0Ghz P4.

Oh, yeah BTW. On a P3 866Mhz I got my times much lower than my old ones , still in C++ of course .
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

Maybe, people should post an exe of their program and XcOM can run them so its all on the same machine. And of course they send the source with it so it can be judged.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by silverdemon View Post
    ok, I altered my code a bit, now getting:

1M: 1044ms
    5M: 5186ms

I've got no output file though, do I need to redo this and make an output file?
    (using VB6.0 btw, and an intel C2D E8400)
    did some major improvement, still no output file, but here are the results:
    (VB6.0, C2D E8400)
    100K: 2ms
    1M: 23ms
    10M: 238ms
    100M: 2412ms
    1B: 24195ms

these times seem pretty fast for me, so I'll now focus on making a file and post back my scores _with_ an output file.

[edit]:
    compiled everything into an exe-file (still no output file) and it went even faster:
    100K: 1ms
    1M: 2ms
    2M: 3ms
    5M: 6ms
    10M: 12ms
    100M: 146ms
    1B: 1528ms

[edit2]:
    Made the program store the numbers it counted and came to very nice results at my second try:
    100K: 0ms
    1M: 3ms
    2M: 7ms
    5M: 17ms
    10M: 37ms
    100M: 369ms
    200M: 750ms
    300M: 1120ms
    310M: 1159ms

If I go any higher I reach the limits of the memory, so I can't count any higher with storing the numbers.
    Again I am using VB6.0 and my C2D E8400 (see my system)

Quote Originally Posted by silverdemon View Post
    If I go any higher I reach the limits of the memory, so I can't count any higher with storing the numbers.
    Again I am using VB6.0 and my C2D E8400 (see my system)
    I assume you have 2GB of memory too . I run out somewhere around 200M , well not really run out, but it's close enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

ok, see my fist post, i have altered the target 1 billion, to 100 million, 1 billion seems to high, the finish date is still to stay the same.

Also if people could compile there program to run from EXE or JAVA to just run, also if you use any dependincies can you include them (Except VB6 ones, i have them all already) and a copy of the source code, this way all the apps will be run on the same hardware and will level the playing field for people that have P3's Vs C2D's and soforth.

When you have your program ready please e-mail it to:
    tbcscomp@gmail.com
    with the subject "TBCS Counting Comp"
    Zip/RAR your project with two folders One containing your compiled program the other the source.

I will not be in the comp becuase it would not be fair as i will see everyones source code.

ENJOY

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

I wrote a program on my TI-83Plus.... I havn't yet run it in full though but keep in mind it runs on a 6MHz CPU with 32KB of RAM. I was going to get a video of it running, but my batteries are dead and charging at the moment.

-CollinstheClown