Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Counting

Fresh Paint

Default Re: Counting

I'm guess this does not have to be cross-platform?
    If not, I'll get something to you probably by tomorrow.

1billion is possible. I'm not sure why others are having problems with RAM.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by crenn View Post
    1billion is possible. I'm not sure why others are having problems with RAM.
    I can count to a googol no problem, but when you try to save the file (or any other way of saving) I get the 'problem' of not enough memory. as you could see in my previous post it cuts off at about 310M for me, with 2GB of ram.

on topic:
    anyways, I'll try to compile an .exe for you to run, but it might take some time to get a 100% user friendly program, if you know what I mean.

good luck everyone

[edit]:
    Mail sent...

You seem to be stood on my tail... Helix666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by weazel6265 View Post
    And by the way, I think there is a +rep in order for whoever figures out which language my last two programs were written in...
    Is it Brainf*ck?

I might have a go at this, but I don't think I'd be able to get an .EXE at the end, what with me only having linux boxen in the house.
    Quote Originally Posted by gntlkilr
    warranties are meant to be voided.
    Turns out, they'll let any idiot with a wrench work on hydraulics.

Quote Originally Posted by Helix666 View Post
    I might have a go at this, but I don't think I'd be able to get an .EXE at the end, what with me only having linux boxen in the house.
    There are Open Source tools that do generate windows executables on a Unix like system. Look at MinGW, it supposedly will allow you to cross compile for Windows in Linux.
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Helix666 View Post
    Is it Brainf*ck?
    Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner (your +rep is in the mail). Possibly the worst language ever created, beside malboge, which I don't even want to touch.
    I'm not creative enough to think of a funny sig. Just quietly laugh to yourself and I'll be happy.

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

Ok, stupid me... I didn't get the time for when i started it but I did get a few times if anyone feels like figuring it out.
    11:22pm (day 1) - Count was around 44,000
    6:00am (day 2) - Count was around 391,000
    4:00pm (day 2) - Count was around 917,000
    5:39pm (day 2) - Count finished.

This is for 1 Million on a TI-83plus.

-CollinstheClown

1Bill isn't a problem, heck I've done it. (With one of the worst programming languages ever)

I sent mail. My java is so slow. 84 Seconds for 5 million. My VB6 is faster. Still optimizing, trying to figure out the best way to do this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Trace View Post
    1Bill isn't a problem, heck I've done it. (With one of the worst programming languages ever)

I sent mail. My java is so slow. 84 Seconds for 5 million. My VB6 is faster. Still optimizing, trying to figure out the best way to do this.
    Hmm, probably depends on how you save your numbers. Java could be slower than VB6, but I think C or C++ should be even faster than basic... since I don't have a lot of experience in C I won't enter for that language, but I think there's a challenge for those who can program in C...

also in my previous post I said I could easily count to a googol when I don't store the numbers... well, that's not entirely true... In my program I use the 'long integer' variable, so I can only count to 18,446,744,073,709,551,615 since it is stored in just 8 bytes in the memory... There's probably a workaround for that too, but I don't have to know

Quote Originally Posted by silverdemon View Post
    also in my previous post I said I could easily count to a googol when I don't store the numbers... well, that's not entirely true... In my program I use the 'long integer' variable, so I can only count to 18,446,744,073,709,551,615 since it is stored in just 8 bytes in the memory... There's probably a workaround for that too, but I don't have to know
    You can manually manage rollovers and store it in two longs (slow, ugly, and what we do for the PIC18F452 in microcontroller land), or go to 64bit where longs are 16bytes long.
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol