Thread: Where to get old cases?

Fresh Paint

Default Where to get old cases?

Brand spanking new here, been reading alot of the posts over the past few days. I've done small things to other cases: windows, switches...just all the small stuff. Really looking to destroy a piece of molded equipment.

So I was just wondering where you guys get your old pc's to mold into unique forms. I've looked around but haven't found much. I was really hoping to get a cheapo to practice on first.

I'm hoping to go around to Mom N Pops computer repair shops, and hopefully they may have some laying around.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys.

Default Re: Where to get old cases?

You pretty much got it. Local shops, friends, businesses that upgraded.. even drive around your area on trash night if you want. There are LOTS of people who do that around here, and make a decent coin on scrap metal.

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Keep an eye on your local paper--there might be someone who is offering to haul away old electronics for free. You just might luck into something like this:

There's a guy here where I live who supplements his retirement by breaking down old electronics and recycling all the wire, plastic, sheet metal, etc.

I was able to snag a case and a mobo tray, and I would imagine that if I need another case down the road, all I have to do is ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Fresh Paint

HAHA, thats awesome.

Goodwill. Salvation army. Local dumpsters. The best bet is probably local computer repair places. Most the time they have a few junkers sitting around that they don't have a problem parting with. If they say they don't have any, go around back and look through their garbage. If you don't find a case come back the next week.
    I have found several cases and enough computer parts to build several very low-end computers. Sometimes it takes time to find exactly what you want but if it's free then it's usually worth it.

Thats what about a half a year of dumpster diving will get you.

Anodized

Talking about this. I am looking for some of the older large server cases. Anyone know where I can buy one from they need to be able to ship to New Zealand? I need one for my mod.
    http://www.chevronx.com

"Atlantis is leaving this planet!" - Dr. Weir (Stargate Atlantis)

If you could find some good local places that may have old stuff.
    I know about 30 minutes from where I live there is a computer surplus store with a bunch of that type of equipment. Try and find a place similar to that, near you.

And if that doesn't work there is always ebay but it's probably difficult to get people to ship to New Zealand.