Thread: Ultimate "Pimped" PC Mod

Fresh Paint

Default Ultimate "Pimped" PC Mod

It's not hard to see the parallels between people who pimp [1] out their computers and people who pimp [1] out their cars. So based on that logic, what would the "ultimate" PC mod be? The holy grail of ridiculously pimped [1] PCs.

It could be none other than hydraulics. Lowrider style.
    For the uninitiated: They make cars hop about.

How epic would a PC mod with hydraulics be? Now it would be a rather big challenge - the bits inside a PC are noticeably more fragile than those inside a car. I imagine everything would need to be solid state, and most probably suspended/insulated in some way to dampen sudden changes of movement.

Aesthetically (and functionally), I think the case would need to imitate the flat and wide shape of a lowrider. Other than that, though, I think it would be most effective if the case was fairly plain looking. Imagine it:

You turn up to a LAN, and everyone is showing off their basic mods - neons, windows, all the minor stuff...
    Your plain black case is mocked. There's no windows, no big shiny lights... just a bit of an awkward shape.
    Until you boot it up. And as your OS of choice loads, the case rises with a little "pschh".
    Soon it's hopping about like a bunny on crack - front up, back up, side to side.

You are now the King of that LAN. No matter how bad you play, people will be able to hear the hissing and hopping of your rig and be reminded that their case could never be as cool as yours.

So, would my dream be possible?

[1] If it gives you pain to read that stupid damn word, then hopefully it's comforting in some way to know that it gives me twice as much to write it.

Default Re: Ultimate "Pimped" PC Mod

Anything is possible but that would definitely be difficult to achieve. Depending on how much rise and fall movement there would be would change the amount of reinforcements and modifications you would have to do. I think with any of it you would probably want a solid state drive but they are expensive. I don't know the budget of your computer but if you can handle the price of a SSD then I think you can make it work.

Another idea that I came up with would be for if you didn't feel like heavily modifying everything. It would be a little more gentle and less jerky. You could get airbags similar to what they have on cars. I'm not sure if you are familiar with them... I don't mean safety airbags. They are part of a cars suspension and you can put air in them and let air out of them to adjust the ride height. And you can use them for show similar to hydrolics but not as extreme and powerful. I have also seen ones where they let out all or most of the air when they park the car and it sets the body of the car on the ground.

Well what about putting some kind of suspension system inside the case. The case may wind up bouncing around like pamela anderson doing her morning jog, but if the system is suspended or on some kind of moving axis line, this could possibly work.

Make the case in 2 parts. The base with the computer parts hugs the desktop, painted black from the outside so it can't be seen. Make the top part or shell be the part that moves up, down, side to side.

For the movement I'd use R/C servo's it's electric and makes buzzrrrrtttt noise. It would make for a cool efect and not hammer your drives.

You could even wire the servo's to a control box so you can stand back like they do in comp. hopping with several on-off-on momentary switches.

I built one in a big 1/6th scale impala and did a similar mod.
    I made an internal frame that attatched to the wheels the computer sat on this.
    Then the body is what did all the moving.
    There will be BLOOD!

Is awesome

You could have all of the hard drive on the base, so they don't get pumped. Your mobo and card (with extra bracing so cards don't fall out of slots/get broken) would work.
    You love my sig.