Thread: Removing Adnodized finishes from Aluminum

Default Removing Adnodized finishes from Aluminum

I thought i'd put this little trick in here since it could be a common occurance with the amount of aluminum cases on the market thies days.

Sanding anodizing can be a lot of work as i found out earlier today. 60 Grit paper seemed to do almost nothing to my case. So i searched out alternatives. Well as it turns out, oven cleaner works well for this. So i went to the super market and bought the most industrial looking, chemical filled cleaner i could find. I bought Easy-Off HeavyDuty Lemon Scented cleaner for $5. I found out that a few applications are needed. Probly less if you keep your piece wet.

Here is a pic after my first application. You can make out the bubble pattern from the cleaner. A fan might help pop thies bubbles and might give a more even appearance through coats.

Sanding the remainder of the anodizing is much easier because it has been softened by the cleaner.

Also for refrence, the chemical in the can is Sodium Hydroxide. Any cheaner with this chem should do the trick. Some might preform better/worse then others.

Default Re: Removing Adnodized finishes from Aluminum

Spray it with grease lightning or similar cleaner and cover with plastic.
    keep an eye on it, reapply as needed.
    There will be BLOOD!

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

a wire wheel works equally as well for removing annodizing, but without the mess

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

I used a palm sander to sand down the sides of my case, I think with 60 grit, which also removed some of the anodized finish. The paint was actually the hardest part to get off.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    a wire wheel works equally as well for removing annodizing, but without the mess
    I'd recommend a painter's mask if you're going to go this route--you WILL kick a ton of paint dust all around your work area. I'm still finding said dust in my work area from when I stripped Frankenstripe, which was well over a year ago now.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

I sanded my case side panels down out on my deck, but there was still a ton of dust.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Anodized

The NaOH trick probably works, sanding works (wear a good quality mask/respirator, I wouldn't suggest "just" a wood type dust mask, this kicks up very small particles). I think what we do at work to remove anodizing is run it back through an acid bath for a couple minutes, then a rinse. I'll find out exactly what we do and let you guys know. (If you missed my post in the "Cutting Aluminum the easy way" thread, I work in an aerospace manufacturing facility, we process aluminum from sheet/block to finished detail.)

Anodized

Ok, back from work. Without giving up our trade secrets, you can try using Daraclean, Oakite or a Nitric acid solution. (Insert standard disclaimer here.) Ok, if you know how/where to get nitric acid I hope you know how to be safe using it. Just be sure to neutralize any of these chemicals before dumping them down the drain, or they'll eat your drain. Any questions? BTW, some of these commercially available "cleaners" can not be dumped down the drain. Check with your dealer for proper disposal regs in your area.