Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home file and printer server

Default Re: Home file and printer server

Ok thanks. I was going to use wires mostly anyway but now i know i need to. The laptop will be wireless but i only use that mostly for pictures and documents anyway. To keep it backed up i will probably use an external drive, and then if something breaks i can plug that into the computer to access my files and programs.

Thanks

I've been wanting to figure out some of the same things as far as video streaming/sharing on a home server for awhile now. We have 6 computers in my house with individual users. It would be great if we could all watch the same movie without tying up the TV.

As far as the games go all I can say is: no way, no how, will never happen etc etc.

Heres why - To my knowledge 95% of all games use a form of DRM. Not to mention each computer unless they are all built the same(including the server) will have different signatures in terms of hardware. There is absolutely no way that this can be pulled off because your servers hardware specs are not going to allow you to play a game from its system on 4 different set ups without errors.

Even a LAN center has to install a copy of every game they have on to each computer. Im afraid there is no easy way out. They are working on a LAN center option though since they are getting a bit more popular these days.

Then again I could be wrong. ya thats it

ok so no games then. I can still use it for everything else though. Would my original spec in post one be good enough, too good or not good enough.

Joe

It would work, just you won't be able to install much more. Barebones are good for compact spaces... but if you can, I'd recommend getting a mid-tower ATX case and PSU, as well as a motherboard.... it works out better since you'll have a better ability to upgrade at a later stage if you choose to.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

I chose a bare bones shuttle case for two reasons. It seemed a cheap way to get the main parts i needed and because i wanted it to be in a small case as it will be in my room. Because of this i am going to stay with a mini itx case but i am going to look into buying everything separately and see how much it comes to. You say i wont be able to install much more Crenn, but im wondering why i would want to, apart from adding bigger HD's at some point.

I was also wondering which OS i should use, i want Linux because it runs more stabily and faster than windows but i don't know how hard it would be to set up. Otherwise i will go with XP, just because i have a spare copy and i cant justify spending £80 on MS server 2003 off ebay. Any tips or helpfull online guides for linux would be brilliant.

EDIT: I could use MS server 2000 as i can get it off eBay for like 99p, but im not sure what features this has compared to MS server 2003 and linux and whether it would do everything i need it to.

Thanks

I think i am going to use Xubuntu with Samba as it has the features i need and seems kind of easy to set up. What do people think of this OS? Has anyone used it before? Good or bad choice? Im going to download the Live CD overnight and play around with it as i found some tutorials on Google that should help.

Any help, experiences or advice is still much appreciated.

Thanks.