Thread: Considering an upgrade...

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default Considering an upgrade...

I'm thinking about upgrading my video card but was hoping to get some input from those with more experience in the area than I. I've learned a lot about them since coming to this site, whereas always before I simply bought the card that had the most memory that fit my motherboard.

I am currently running an Nvidia 8500GT PCIe x16 card and have a few problems with my games, though only in higher detail settings with a fair amount of activity on the screen. I don't think it's my system holding me up, as I am running an Athlon 64 FX-62 dual core 2.8 GHz processor with 2GB of DDR2 800 RAM.

I am considering moving up to a 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 9600GT PCIe 2.0 x16. It's rare that I get the money to make an upgrade of this magnitude so I wanted to hear anyone's opinions on this move. Should I see a significant improvement? (Before anyone suggests that I move up the tree a little, this card is $125 with rebate and that is the absolute limit of my current budget.)

Any input would be appreciated thanks!!!
    ________
    NEW JERSEY MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY
    Last edited by blueonblack; 02-24-2011 at 02:33 PM.

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

Default Re: Considering an upgrade...

Quote Originally Posted by blueonblack View Post
    I'm thinking about upgrading my video card but was hoping to get some input from those with more experience in the area than I. I've learned a lot about them since coming to this site, whereas always before I simply bought the card that had the most memory that fit my motherboard.

I am currently running an Nvidia 8500GT PCIe x16 card and have a few problems with my games, though only in higher detail settings with a fair amount of activity on the screen. I don't think it's my system holding me up, as I am running an Athlon 64 FX-62 dual core 2.8 GHz processor with 2GB of DDR2 800 RAM.

I am considering moving up to a 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 9600GT PCIe 2.0 x16. It's rare that I get the money to make an upgrade of this magnitude so I wanted to hear anyone's opinions on this move. Should I see a significant improvement? (Before anyone suggests that I move up the tree a little, this card is $125 with rebate and that is the absolute limit of my current budget.)

Any input would be appreciated thanks!!!
    You'll see a huge improvement over the 8500GT in your games. 9600GTs are essentially underclocked 8800GTs, which are very fast cards. A 9600GT can get 30fps in Crysis @ Medium Settings, 1600x1200 just to put it into perspective. Also that is an awesome discount and I'd go for the upgrade, esp. at that price.

-Indybird

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Hmm... interesting....

$50 more would get you a decent 8800 GT but you stated your budget at $125 where you meet your fist problem. The cheapest "name brand" 9600 GT on Newegg is the PNY 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814133216 for $150. ($140 after MIR)

At this point I say wait till you can save just a bit more and get the 8800 GT. Or look out for deals.

-Fuga

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
    Hmm... interesting....

$50 more would get you a decent 8800 GT but you stated your budget at $125 where you meet your fist problem. The cheapest "name brand" 9600 GT on Newegg is the PNY 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814133216 for $150. ($140 after MIR)

At this point I say wait till you can save just a bit more and get the 8800 GT. Or look out for deals.

-Fuga

Forgive my ignorance, but how important is the "name brand" on video cards? This is the card I'm considering: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814134040
    ________
    Bmw E53 History
    Last edited by blueonblack; 02-24-2011 at 02:33 PM.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blueonblack View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but how important is the "name brand" on video cards? This is the card I'm considering: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814134040
    Because when you buy an off brand.. you buy their problems. It goes with all hardware. Also, when i searched I didn't see that one come up. Good find.