Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project: 85.2 FM

Anodized

Default Project: 85.2 FM

Hey everyone! This work log has been a long time coming, but after almost a month of planning and some building, I have some things to show. For those unfamiliar, I'll reiterate a few things from the first help thread I started:

After doing some looking around, I've noticed most (if not all) mods from the video game Portal are of the weighted companion cube; however, I've never seen a mod done for the radio that appears a few times in the game:

As such, I've decided to make this project my own. For size reasons--and, it just makes sense--this is actually going to be a mod of the Logitech Pure-Fi Anywhere 2 iPod speakers. Here is the victim:

Here is the basic design so far:

I know this design has no antenna or control knob, but these will be added later. At first the width was 19", but that made the footprint WAY too big for me. This design will probably go through some changes as functionality develops. The dock itself will be hidden inside, behind the front panel. Although I plan to locate the controls on the back of the unit (on/off, shuffle, repeat, volume, etc.), the reason for this is twofold: A) The ribbon cable, unless I find a replacement, needs to be close to the main board (it's not very long) and B) it will help stay as close to the original look as possible. The radio will be lit by a combination of turquoise EL wire and/or LEDs.

Anyhow, on to the destruction. Logitech was kind enough to show how to dismantle their speakers in order to dispose of the 10-hour battery once it no longer functions. It's not replaceable, but I don't see this as a problem.

Screws revealed:

Back removed:

Close-up of the backside of the iPod dock, DC power and audio in jacks:

Under side of main board:

Components gutted... FINALLY! As you can see, the base speakers have no wire connections and are driven by the reverb of the other speakers. Not being an audio fancy-pants, I didn't know this, so this plays a part in the final design. I'm thinking of housing them in 1/8" hardboard.

I have more pictures I will upload later, but the game is afoot. I will post questions in separate threads (if necessary) so as to keep the work log clean, but please, feel free to add any input. Cheers!
    Brain kills beer cells.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default Re: Project: 85.2 FM

Looks like quite a project, you're in for some serious work. I love the concept, keep at it. (Here, have some rep for the design, too.)
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dash20 View Post
    Components gutted... FINALLY! As you can see, the base speakers have no wire connections and are driven by the reverb of the other speakers. Not being an audio fancy-pants, I didn't know this, so this plays a part in the final design. I'm thinking of housing them in 1/8" hardboard.
    Those are passive radiators, and you should try to incorporate them into your final build, as they will add a bit more low end to your audio output. Plus they look cool.

1/8" would probably work, but go with thicker if you can (weight will climb pretty quick with thicker stuff). A thicker housing can help give better sound from the speakers too.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Glad to see this coming together! Subscribed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

this should be neat +rep for the design so far, and I 2nd keeping the heatsink

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

wow.... this is gunna be cool... cant wait to see how this comes out
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

Glad to see you finally started this!. +rep

I am Jack's smirking revenge. 985323's Avatar

This looks awsome, +rep for Portal
    Will

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

I'm glad to see this project get started +rep
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Anodized

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. As I solve each little "speed bump" in the design, I get that much more stoked about this project, and you all play a big part in that.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Those are passive radiators, and you should try to incorporate them into your final build, as they will add a bit more low end to your audio output. Plus they look cool.

1/8" would probably work, but go with thicker if you can (weight will climb pretty quick with thicker stuff). A thicker housing can help give better sound from the speakers too.
    Noice, thanks for the tip! I only chose the 1/8" because I'm actually using it to build the skeleton for the housing (that's today!), so I figure now I'll either double up or buy more if I run out. I'm not too concerned about weight, so I should be good there.

Anyhow, nothing too exciting here, but progress nonetheless. I went to Active Surplus the other day in Toronto... anyone who's been there knows it stimulates a nerd-rection for all. Apparently though, my needs are still too specific for them almost every time I go, so I did not end up leaving with my longer ribbon cable. More on that as it develops.

Here's the speakers cut. I think I'm well past the refund point! I tried desoldering them at first and after my iron not being hot enough, I brain farted and realized how much easier/better it would be to just cut them. Here's hoping the speakers still work when I put it all back together.

Here's a mock-up of the base for sizing purposes. The black line is roughly where the front panel will be.

After more cutting, the components have more freedom:

Here's the dock after cutting off the speaker grills with my Dremel. Still some trimming to do, but it's small enough for sizing.

Laying out the dock and radiators for sizing:

Male/female DC plugs. Since the Portal radio is deeper than the original dock, I have to make an extension for the power jack and audio-in jack. Some of you may remember my plan to desolder the original jacks and move them back, but I found that two invasive for me... and my desoldering skills kind of suck at the moment, so...

Anyhow, back to work.
    Brain kills beer cells.