Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wacky weather

Default Wacky weather

Well, big snow storms aren't anything unusual here in northern Alberta, Canada. But this is ridiculous. It's been snowing hard since Saturday. Actual snow fall has been about 24". The wind is howling causing huge drifts. I have one in my backyard that's nearly 6 feet high. Most of our snow from winter just melted within the last week or so. By the end of February, we had about 3 feet of accumulated snow.

Because we normally get lots of snow in winter, most people here drive 4X4's, but now people are stuck everywhere. I have to go to work tonight (night shift), about a 35 km drive on the highway. I'm not really looking forward to that. Oh well, once I get to work, I drive around the mine for 12 hours also. Yesterday, I pulled 3 trucks (4X4) out of snow drifts, and then later on I had to get pulled out of one. Other than the drive to work, I'm actually looking forward to getting to work tonight. Is that sick or what?
    My goal in life is to earn enough money to enjoy the lifestyle that my wife and kids do.

Default Re: Wacky weather

About 18" of snow here, and being on the prairie, we've had whiteout conditions since Saturday! They actually closed the highway from here to Calgary yesterday morning, after a major accident just outside town.

I love winter a little more than most people I guess, but still, it's almost May! Bring on the sun and the bikinis!

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Luke122, it wasn't that long ago that we were talking about the nice weather we had and barbequeing. LOL. Now I'm going to have to dig the BBQ out again.
    My goal in life is to earn enough money to enjoy the lifestyle that my wife and kids do.

It finally warmed up enough to plant our garden last weekend. Usually we are planting in early March, not April... Now we are supposed to get more rain tonight! At least it is not snow. Not that I don't like snow or anything, I left Colorado so I did not have to commute in it.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

So is winter always that bad in Canada? My gf... she is all like "Lets move to Canada!" but i said no because i don't know how the software industry is up there. Idk... im just making conversation because im pretty bored. Don't mind me.
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

The weekend before this last one it was 80 degrees and absofreakinglutely beautiful outside here in Montana. Last Saturday, we got two foot of snow. And now it's nearly gone with the somewhat nice (40 degreeish) weather outside.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Quote Originally Posted by luciusad2004 View Post
    So is winter always that bad in Canada?
    It's not bad, as long as you like snow. I love snow and enjoy driving in it, but I agree with Luke122, it's time for the sun and the bikinis. Normally, by April it's nice here. Our winters usually bring a lot of snow but by mid March it's usually melting. This winter was very cold. Hopefully that means a hot summer!

Quote Originally Posted by DrumThumper View Post
    The weekend before this last one it was 80 degrees and absofreakinglutely beautiful outside here in Montana. Last Saturday, we got two foot of snow. And now it's nearly gone with the somewhat nice (40 degreeish) weather outside.
    That same weekend, I drove down to Calgary and ran into the northern part of that storm. Then we went out to Banff, (an hour+ west of Calgary, in the Rockies), and had beautiful, hot sunny weather.

I'm hopeful of that too.. bring on the heat!

We are usually snow free by this time of year (at least around here), so I'm not sure wtf is up. Al Gore, you dirty bastard. This is your fault.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

Wow. I'm glad I'm further south then. We've had some snow spit with some rain mixed in with it the past couple days here in Nebraska. But now I'm sitting on the back patio at home on my day off in weather that is somewhere around 70 degrees with barely a breeze going by drinking a beer. Man I love wireless networking sometimes.

I'll be wishing some of this north then for you.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

SUN IS SHINING! SUN! SUN!

(/quit internet, Luke needs sunshine)

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/