Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Security/file server.

Custom Title Honors

Default Home Security/file server.

I was looking at jbaldwinrobers post about the home print/file server and didn't want to thread steal.

Has/does anybody here run a home security system? By that I just mean cameras either around/in the house. This is going to be just an idea or though for me for a while yet as we have no place to do this yet.

I was curious on the type of hardware one would need/want for this type of system..

What I had in mind:
    UP TO 8 Cameras (expandable to 16)
    Recording 2 weeks worth of data (not sure on format/res)
    ALSO USING THIS FOR:
    File Server
    Backup Server

Would not use for printer due to the fact this would sit in a closet of some sort probably in the basement.

OR

1 server for the security stuff and 1 server for the files/backups.

I also saw that jbaldwinroberts was going to use Xubuntu with Samba. I know I would have to check with hardware/software of the Security stuff but would this be a better choice over Server 2003 EE? I already have a copy with CALS(if needed).

I figure Server 2003 EE would be better for the files/backups but overkill in almost every aspect unless I was going to setup a domain which I have before for all of 4 pc's in the house. lol Anyways.. hopefully someone is/has done this and can help. BUT as always thanks for any input and advice!

Thanks,
    Outlaw

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

Carpe Apenodytes halcyonforever's Avatar

Default Re: Home Security/file server.

Things to point out on a security system:

What good are cameras without someone monitoring? Without active monitoring it only serves as a forensics tool and hopefully a deterent.

I would really recomend software that treats the camera as a motion sensor and only records motion activity... That will dramatically reduce your disk space usage and makes research alot easier... Sucks quite a bit to have to go through 8 hours of empty tape to find something that may or may be easy to spot.

Off-site storage. Make sure you have some way setup to replicate your security footage off-site. Doesn't do much good if the perp that your camera's catch pretty pictures of, walks up to the server and forcibly erases the hard-drive... Ideal istuation is an off-site server that recieves the duplicate footage live but only cache's about one day's worth of video

Redundancy. First a UPS ovbiously, but also be aware that if the cameras use an external power that needs to be on the UPS as well. Also consider a second power circuit. Easy tatic is to cut the power then wait for batteries to die... Also look into redundancy in your network connection for aforementioned off-site backup. This is one case where I would advocate stealing a neighbor's wi-fi as a fail over to someone cutting your phone/cable along with your power. Would probably be an easy arrangement and could even be a two way street... set up an access point for both networks and trade keys. That way if his goes out it can pick up on yours and vice versa. (I have that with my neighbors... if my network cuts out it picks up the neighbors, with limited permission)

Physical security to the server. Be sure to use "security through obscurity" (ie hide it)first, then harden the access point second. Network security, be sure to secure pretty much every port except those used for the video relay and file replication.

Notification. In addition to cameras I would use in numerous reed switches and relays wired through your paralell port connected to various doors/lights/valuable locations and connected to a digital map of your house. With the proper setup you can re-trace the steps of your perp without having cameras in sensitive areas and greatly assist law-enforcement with tracing the perps footsteps through the house. To turn all of this into a proper security system I would setup a client that can arm-disarm the system, and serve as a viewing portal to replay the last xx hours of video/switch activity.

Alot of this depends on the quality of crook you are looking to stop. Personally one of my job duties is security evaluation for a financial institution so I go at it with a different mind set.

I am now stuck on the idea of a real time display that combines motion sensing and reed sensors with a digital map overlay... very movie esque. Oh the ideas... I'm not going to get any work done because I will be planning this...

Custom Title Honors

Whoa, didn't realize it has been that long. Sorry I was having issues posting before. Browser would lock when I hit Reply.

Anywho, That is a very detailed security setup. I think I should have been more specific with my thoughts as I don't think I have the funds and resources (which goes back to funds) to do that type of setup.

If I were able to afford that I would love to have all that redundancy in the event some was going to do this (assuming we had something worth all that trouble).

I do like the motion sensors though and it only recording on their detection of movement. That will help with HD space and also help with cost.

What kind of system resources do you think would be needed to run upto 8 cameras with all the necessary software? I don't want to be cheap but I don't want to overkill either.

This setup would mostly be for backyard and around the house/garage. I don't need to see the guy/girl stealing a pack of gum from the gas station down the block. Although that would be cool. lol

And thanks for the detailed response. Sorry I didn't get back sooner.

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

I've looked into this because i have recently recieved some free cammera's and a capture card.

On ebay you can get kits for $150-250 depending on the amount of cammera's. Also, most newer capture cards have 4-8-16-32 cammera inputs. You can get a 8 cammera card for less than $20 on ebay. Also, my capture card is pretty old and it was setup for motion recording so im fairly certain thats a standard function amongst brands. The software for my card also has remote viewing cappabillities so i could check in on things while abroad. Security cammera's and the capture card use BNC connectors on a coax cable, you can buy little adapters for cheap and use regular tv cable. Both cammera's i have are 24 volt so you'll probly need a power adapter to power them.

I hope this helps.

[edit]
    Forgot to mention that almost all capture cards have audio input (the amount of inputs will vary) so you could stash microphones around the house and catch the thief's voice.

Custom Title Honors

Actually it does help. I always forget to check Ebay and even Craigslist for almost anything. What kind of system are you running all that on? That is where my concern is mainly. I have a couple older pc's (P4's almost a GB memory) and just wondering if they would work, or if an upgrade would be needed.

Thanks for the info.

I havent hooked up the system yet but it was all attached to a early k8? system with 512mb ram and a 200Gb hard drive. The capture card is from 2001 so a top end system for that time period should be considered minimum for today.

Also, the capture cards will have minimum system requirements on the package description.

This is one project I would LOVE to see a how-to worklog on, very interesting ideas here. Just be sure not not reveal your security soft-spots in the process. I really hope you build this.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Custom Title Honors

As long as funds are good I think I may be able to start this project.

The system I would be running the security stuff from would be:

P4 2.0Ghz 400FSB
    768MB RAM
    30GB HD (testing to keep cost down for now)
    ATI 32MB PCI GFX Card (probably wont be used)

Am i the only one that finds outlaws name ironic in this situation?

Custom Title Honors

lol, I actually didn't even think of that until now. But everyone, even the outlaws, have something they would like to protect.