Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Security/file server.

Carpe Apenodytes halcyonforever's Avatar

Default Re: Home Security/file server.

Some of the ideas I presented were a bit over the top but there are a bunch that can be done fairly inexpensively.

For example reed switches are pretty inexpensive right around $1-3 a piece.

The dual power circuit can be nixed for most people. I would still recomend the UPS but you could use that to provide power to other emergency services in the house... such as a TV for sorm warnings.

Scratch my whole access pannel idea... that was way over the top. Just an idea I hit upon that I thought would be interesting...

Yeah i would have to second a UPS, it's not going to protect you in thoes times the power is out for a long time but it will help stop the computer from turning off during short power outs, line drops, spikes. My UPS's works for about 10min when the power is cut but im running everything from my reciever, tv, computer, and monitors. So i think if you dedicated a UPS to an as energy effecient computer as possible(just the box), you could extend this up to 20min or even longer depending on what UPS you select.

Custom Title Honors

I would definitely do the UPS and would get as big as I can depending on funds at the time.

**Not sure if this should be it's own post**
    But what I think I can do sooner then the security is putting both my CS Server and extra PC into THIS case. There is plenty of room for everything and should be enough air flow.

3- CD/DVD Drive Bays
    8- HD Drive Bays
    Enough room for 2 PSU's on top
    Enough room for 2 motherboards side by side
    2 120MM Fans at 113CFM (MID)

Hardware used-
    PC1 (CS Server):
    P4 1.7Ghz
    768 SDRAM
    40GB HD
    CD-ROM

PC2 (EXTRA):
    P4 2.0Ghz
    512MB DDR
    30GB HD (ATM)
    CD-RW

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

As an occasional hardware reviewer, I never understood why these companies that make security products ever do reviews. Yes reviews are a good form of advertisement (if the product is good.) But for a product many might not know how easy or hard it's to set-up, the right review would educate. I might be able to afford the parts, but might not want the labour.

Well you guys seem to have the hardware issue taken care of so let me be the devil's advocate if you will....First thing you have to take into consideration is the fact that the cameras WILL bring undue attention to yourself. The camera's are a great deterrent to the average thief, but to a professional, they are a neon sign in vegas. Also have to remember that the average in home camera system nets a higher electricity bill. you might want to look into possibly taking the tower thats doing the recording.....off-site. oh and look into getting the surveillance system on its own power lines APART from the house. that way if the thief decides to try to cut your power, the cameras will still be live. Also if they have any notifications of power, i would alter them so that you cant tell if they are on or not. This way the thief cant tell if they are REAL camera's or fake, and if there is no power indication, they will end up thinking they are fake, and letting you film them. just my two cents on the issue
    Not all who mod are modders...

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

The best UPS is one that you make yourself. It will last far longer than any retail one.

Custom Title Honors

Right now this is all in the setup and planning stage. It's not going to be put into effect for a while. I do understand that having a camera visible is going to be a "neon sign" but was also looking at the bullet cameras which from some of the dimensions are hard to tell what they would be unless you walk up to it (ex. 1"x3"). The UPS I will leave to the company because I don't want to risk loosing the equipment that is suppose to be running 24/7. My luck it would fail, blow out the PC, and we would get robbed while we were on vacation.. lol

I don't think I would be able to get away with having another power line run to the house. Plus wouldn't that mean another power meter which would show there is another line coming in? It's not a bad idea, just imo not doable with my funds and resources. Depending on the house and layout, I could have a generator backup that would kick in if the power went out. Obviously generators only last so long too but I guess it depends if you want that 500Gal drum out back or not.

Hopefully this addressed everyones input and thank you for sharing them. Hopefully we can get a house sooner then I think we can and I can get this started.

Thanks again everyone!

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

Carpe Apenodytes halcyonforever's Avatar

The ultimate decision for something like this is the cost vs benefit vs risk equation. Don't go overboard on a security system that ultimately costs more than what you are trying to protect. Don't get your self in a position where you end up paying more than the cost of replacing what might be stolen.

Now most of the ideas presented so far are on the range that having a decent home theatre would justify the expenses because a simple spare computer and camera system is relatively in-expensive to put together. Once you start getting to the generator/alternative power/off-site monitor, then you have to really ask, is this worth it.

On the topic of real versus fake cameras at my previous job at a private college, we installed a fairly detailed camera system with active monitoring. At my behest we also installed almost twice as many dummy cameras with nothing but a darkened dome lens and a blinking led. I had a number of the active cameras pointed at locations where the dummy cameras were ovbiously "blind" (I set alot of the dummy cameras up with an intentional "blind" spot to the casual observer). Those cameras would continiously catch illicit activities because the individuals would just stand in the blind spot and think they were safe.

In a more criminally focused security system, you can use dummy cameras to increase the security profile, but can also cause a criminal to take an alternative route that may result in increased opportunities for detection. (using the above setup, I was able to covertly convince a criminal to take an alterntive route through a flowerbed with a particular type of dirt not found on the rest of campus, I was able to use the evidence of that dirt being on the perp's shoes and pants as a means of identification of the criminal)

Custom Title Honors

I agree with the generator/alt power source and being worth it... I wouldn't go this route for that fact. Also I am looking to do a good system not the Million dollar ones lol althought that would be cool. This system would be more for "monitoring" the main points or ones that might be an issue. There isn't a lot that we own that would be worth actually breaking in and stealing. I'm not looking to spend 6G on this but just something that would be able to keep an eye out while we were on vacation or kids in the backyard.

That is funny though with the dummy cameras.