Thread: Ford Focus

Default Ford Focus

Just a quick question,

Ok, i have just ordered a model of my car, a ford focus in 1:24 scale,

I was going to paint it to match my car then secure it to my parcel shelf in the back.

But i also planned to mod the model, add some fibre optics for lights and stuff, and wire them into a battery, or maybe even wire the brake and indercater (Turn) lights into the car lighting system so when i brake the brake lights on the model come on, and the same with the indacaters.

What do you guys think, and would it be ok to post a worklog here?

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

Custom Title Honors

Default Re: Ford Focus

I think it would be cool... and distracting, lol having lights flashing in your rear view (unless you don't use it.

Also think it would be a pain in the arse to do that wiring but doable. Just have to make sure the voltages match.

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

i had another thought, maybe instead of messing with voltages and the such (And risking breaking my car) use long lengths of fibre optics and run them strait to the lights, this would also make it easier to remove when i sell the car,

This would also have the advantage that the lights wouldn't be that bright

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

Custom Title Honors

probably have to drill small holes in the light unit but that might work. And make sure not to do any really sharp angles. Correct me if i'm wrong but fibre cables don't like that.

you wouldn't have to mess with voltage.. just make sure the stuff you put in your model are 12v and use the same or less amps then the wire/light already in place.

I did splice into my front blinkers when I put in my washer heads with leds. If you do it right, nobody ever even notices.

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

Quote Originally Posted by XcOM View Post
    Of course we would like to see a LOG.. have you looked around the site lately.. worklogs.. its kind of our thing here..

All kidding aside.. yah.. sounds like a neat project.

i just had a look at my rear lights, and it appears that i couldn't use fibre optics as the lights have a red thin read layer of plastic round the entire lights insides so i couldn't do that method as the optics would carry red light,

as you can see here:

Would anyone happen on having a wire diagram for a ford focus 2001 model, or an instruction set for wireing in a towing system?

Custom Title Honors

thanks it did, but after talking to the MOT guy at my local garage he said that my car would fail the mot if i did this as it would be classed as tampering with the lighting which your not allowed, the only thing your allowed to do it wire in for towing reasons.

So i think i will continue with the plan but have the lights run from a battery pack and put them on a switch

Quote Originally Posted by XcOM View Post
    Just a quick question,
    Ok, i have just ordered a model of my car, a ford focus in 1:24 scale.
    What a coincidence I was planning on doing something similar.
    I ordered a Buddy L Pressed Steel Cadillac Escalade.

It is 15" long, 5 1/2" wide and 5 1/2" tall.
    I'm going to pimp it out, and add a Pico.

Hope to see some pictures of your car mod.

dow. why dont you put a resistor in at the light or even a relay and then run it to the model. of course that means hackin the wires but who would ever know unless they took the light out xD

or attach the car to the tray and drill a small hole in the tray, attach a small harnase on the underside to accom the battery
    Basic Math:
    1 + 1 = 2
    1 * 1 = 1