Thread: Video card watercooling question?

Fresh Paint

Default Video card watercooling question?

I'm not sure if I should post this here, and if I should post it elsewhere, mods please move it or if I can't post this at all, delete it. Heh.

Basically. I purchased two Powercolor 3870's, and I fully intend to put on a waterblock. The only problem is, I can't seem to find any waterblocks that fit the powercolor 3870! I have found assorted sites such as Dangerden that have a block for the 3870 x2, but I'm pretty sure that's incompatible. Now I did find the EK waterblocks, but those claim they are not compatible with the Saphire or powercolour 3870's.

So basically, does anyone know where I could look for the proper waterblocks? I've tried assorted sites. But the closest i've been able to find are the EK ones... unless I am misreading and the 3870 x2 is simply saying two 3870's...

Anyways. =) Thanks in advance, any help would be mucho appreciated.
    When one makes 20 million, 10 thousand people lose, what keeps that one from swallowing a shotgun?

Default Re: Video card watercooling question?

xspc razor ATI 3870

well i found this block what supports the 3870.. also you have the option of adding the sli fitting, what you want..

but, nowadays all blocks come with barb and plug function. what let you choose how the block it set up. heres a pic that i pulled off the net what shows this with sli. see how the bottom left has been pluged and then the top right. to allow for easy connection to both cards, in the past you would of had to mod the block to achive this

hope that helps you, the pic tells a 1000 words as you look closly to both blocks.
    Basic Math:
    1 + 1 = 2
    1 * 1 = 1

/off topic
    *the crossfire fittings nvidia is sli, ATI is crossfire
    is that a 120.9 raddy on your case, or are you just happy to see me?

METO V.1
    METO V.2
    METO V.3
    PC-Beto
    Project M8 [WIP]

How much faster can you render the bsod? Ap1thy's Avatar

if you look, it says ati reference design only, the power color and sapphire cards do not follow the ati reference design (which is why all the other blocks dont support them)

my best idea is to buy some better mofset and ramsinks than powercolor provides and just buy a block for the gpu

Quote Originally Posted by p0Pe View Post
    /off topic
    *the crossfire fittings nvidia is sli, ATI is crossfire
    we all know thats just a marketing ploy and are both the same

sorry i didnt notice that.. i just seen that the cards matched and it was possible to have dual graphic support on the drop down..

if you cant find a full waterblock like that one then the other option is what the lad above said. some good shims and silver thermopaste will keep the ram cool. and the waterblock to cover the GPU. i think with that setup you just mesuare how far the fasening points are on the card and match it up with a block you like.
    Basic Math:
    1 + 1 = 2
    1 * 1 = 1

Fresh Paint

Alright, that's what I was afraid I would be forced to do. =( Cest la vi. I'll deal with it and just...make my thing pretty. Or...I could try and find a full coverage block, but mod the acrylic myself to make it fit the settings...Ooohh...That'd work. =p But a bit above my skill level I think. I'll consider it. Thanks for the advice, guys.
    When one makes 20 million, 10 thousand people lose, what keeps that one from swallowing a shotgun?