Thread: Weird linux (but prob hardware realted) problem

Default Weird linux (but prob hardware realted) problem

Right I havent been active on here in ages but hopefully some of you guys still remember me
    Anyways onto my problem...
    Im running a pretty standard piece of crap: 3ghz celeron, 1gb ram, some crappy foxconn mobo all powered with a cheap 250w psu.
    Im currently dualbooting with xp and ubuntu. So the other day i was working away in ubuntu when a thunderstorm starts, the power goes out for a second and comes back presumably with a little bit of a surge.
    Computer boots up and when the xserver starts i get a 'signal over range' message on my monitor. Ive seen this before and it usually just needs a re-setup of the xserver to get a correct config file. doesnt work. i try booting off a live linux disc, same thing. I try a different graphics card, same thing.
    But this is the truely weird bit; windows works fine.....

So any1 got any ideas??
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

Default Re: Weird linux (but prob hardware realted) problem

Definitely an interesting problem.

Do you know the refresh rates the monitor would like? Did you change the refresh rate in the xorg.conf file? The default option 'UseEdidFreqs true' overrides the manual settings in the file, unless you set it to false. Maybe after the power surge, the monitor can't tell the graphics card the proper refresh rate. If UseEdidFreqs is set to false, maybe the refresh rate in the file is wrong for the monitor.

Just a guess, I hope it helps.
    My goal in life is to earn enough money to enjoy the lifestyle that my wife and kids do.

Anodized

Well

I noticed that sometimes Linux doesn't run hmmm "damaged" hardware...
    I have similar problem with HDD and smth other.

Maybe after the power surge, the monitor can't tell the graphics card the proper refresh rate.
    Second that.

Check refresh rates under XP and over the internet( proper refresh rates for your monitor). Could be, in some strange way, diffrent.
    If it is CRT( don't even thins so ) try to "reset" it.
    IF LCD - dunno.

Ehh It realy depends on which Ubuntu you have installed.
    In 7.04 I could force my monitor to 1152 rez with 80Hz - just with changed type of monitor in settings. In 7.10 and now in 8.04 it doesn't work :/.

But this is the truely weird bit; windows works fine.....
    Well XP could run fork from USB if there was a driver - plug and play recognized it in some way .

And btw - ask on ubuntu forums if you didn't so far. But post more details.

Peace
    Last edited by h3moglobe0; 01-19-2009 at 05:58 PM. Reason: RTC monitor... I'll burn ya!

Code:
    ar -r God

Thanks for the input guys, im gonna mess about with this tonight when i get some time.
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

OK Ive done a bit of troubleshooting on this and it looks like the AGP bus must be damaged.
    Windows continues to run fine and I can get linux working on the integrated graphics but only in 800x600 :/

So it looks like I'm stuck without my movies and music on windoze until i can get cash....

+rep for the replies guys