Thread: Break out those violent video games!

Default Break out those violent video games!

http://www.news.com.au/technology/st...014239,00.html

Play a little each day! It helps!
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Default Re: Break out those violent video games!

NICE! +rep

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

Great find! Bookmarked and i'm tempted to download the site and keep it. The videogame debate pisses me off to no end and i wouldn't be surprised to find out that the studies linking video games and violence are somehow flawed... I can't say they are, but i wouldn't be surprised. I think the numbers speak for themselves, If games cause violence, and Millions of people play video games then why don't Millions of people ... or at least thousands, start killing people for no reason. The number is actually quite low. If games were turning people in to monsters, i think we would see a virgina tech every month, if not more frequently.

I do think they may be a risk factor to already violence prone people, but i don't think letting a rational/sane person play GTA4 for a while is going to turn them in to a cop killing, hooker raping, sociopath hell bent on destroying everybody. And as the article rightly points out... violent crime amongst youth as been on the decline while game play is on the uprise... i don't think either has to do w/ the other, but i do think that it shows that violent games haven't "caused" more violence.

I think the logic behind the anti-game movement is this:
    Criminals are bad, Criminals play games, Therefor People who play games, are bad. Anybody who has had a lesson or two on basic logic (in perhaps a math course) can tell you that statement is not necessarily true. In fact its completely false. The reason this appears to be true is that if 95% of the population (imaginary number plz) plays games then of course its going to look like a large percentage of criminals play games. They are part of the larger group which already has a high % of gamers.

Anyway... Nice find
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

Is awesome

The logic is that you can be a criminal in a game, so you will be a criminal in real life if you play it.

I play TF2. I have not ever, not even once, dressed up in red and black, ran around with a minigun and an austrian accent killing people dressed in blue while a guy in a doctor outfit who talked in a german accent buffed me with a stream of health from a tank on his back. Case closed.
    You love my sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Quakken View Post
    The logic is that you can be a criminal in a game, so you will be a criminal in real life if you play it.

I play TF2. I have not ever, not even once, dressed up in red and black, ran around with a minigun and an austrian accent killing people dressed in blue while a guy in a doctor outfit who talked in a german accent buffed me with a stream of health from a tank on his back. Case closed.
    SIGGED

Overclocked

LOL!

Yea, that mentality's quite weird. Its not because you can shoot civillians in a game that you can IRL. I personally always loved big rifles such as M4s and similars, and always kinda liked the idea of getting into the canadian army, but well, America's Army, CoD4, BF2 and Vegas2 altogether solved the problem

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

No matter how much you try to dispute it that sweet sweet long range headshot in a FPS is truly something.

Sniper Joe: Boom headshot kiddy
    13yrold1337gam3r: OMFG HAK!
    Sniper Joe: STFU
    13yrold1337gam3r: ...
    Need a sig

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

Woo! Time to break out the Mario Bros. Seriously. There have been violent 'looking' games since they started.

Mario, stomps on the goombas and turtles. What did they every do to you Mario. All they're doing is out for a walk them BAM, and Italian Plumber lands on their heads.
    Centipede. Again, the centipede is out walking around the mushroom then here comes a little space ship and starts blasting pieces out of it.

A lot of video games can even be taken as violent when they are not meant to be. Only an idiot would stand in a court of law and say, "I thought I was playing GTA." If thats the case I want his system for playing games because he's using VR or something to play.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

Is awesome

It's a copout if you "thought you were playing GTA". You didn't. You will running people over in your impala because you were so cracked out that you didn't know WHAT was going on.
    You love my sig.

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

It's a copout if you "thought you were playing GTA". You didn't. You will running people over in your impala because you were so cracked out that you didn't know WHAT was going on.
    Or you're making **** up because you don't want to take the responsibility for your actions.

On another note, I've been feeling somewhat angsty lately and playing Crysis, Oblivion, and other games like that have helped get rid of a little stress. Hiking is good too but no car means no way to get to some trails, lol.