Thread: Antec 900, a good choice?

Overclocked

Default Antec 900, a good choice?

Didnt know if I should put this in either the Motherboard, PSU or Case section of the forums, but here's the thing:

Im buying a new rig soon. Problem is, Im going with an eVGA 750i SLI FTW motherboard, with an OCZ GameXStream 700W, all this fitted in an Antec Nine Hundred.

Now, Ive heard bad things about OCZ GameXStream in that case as the CPU wire (4/8 pin) is a bit too short to be able to be pulled under the motherboard tray and brought to it's rightful jack, which is badly located at the top right corner of the case, just beside the PS2 mouse/kboard jacks.

I went with that PSU because it was the cheapest high-watt PSU I could go with that had the 8-pin, SLI and under a hundred bucks. Ill be running an OCed Q6600 and a 8800GTS, probably another one later. Also went with that case since it has good cooling abilities and Im going for air cooling, and also because I can get one for under a hundred bucks as well. Anyone else would have a solution to the problem, such as a reversed case (Lian-Li like, but they're too high priced for my budget)? I would extend the wires for the CPU 8-pin but don't feel like voiding the warranty.

Default Re: Antec 900, a good choice?

I could be possible to buy an extension cable. If the cable reaches from above without going under the motherboard tray, then I wouldn't worry too much.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

I agree with Crenn. + its ok if that 1 wire shows. (I really need to post pics of what mine looks like... maybe someday)

Water Cooled

considering you are price conscious about the power supply, this option may not be something are looking for, BUT, you may want to strongly consider the new Lian-Li PC-A17. It has the PSU on top and has all the major positive selling points that the 900 has. I can tell you because I currently have the 900 and there are a vew things that were a MAJOR pain to install because of the config and lack of removable mobo tray. The A17 on the other hand, is better thought out and has the PSU on the top. So the length of the cable would no longer be an issue.

I know the case is a bit more expensive, but I can say that Lian-Li is a very good case maker and I would hands down have paid the extra money for this case if it had been available when I built my last rig.

Oh, one additional positive the lian-li has over the antec is that it is all aluminum. I can tell you now that I have the antec that once everythng is inside, the thing is a beast!!! An all aluminum case would have been much better for transporting it.

If you have any questions about the 900, I would be happy to answer them as I still vividly remember the headaches when installing everything. Just send me a PM.

EDIT: here is a link to this case on Lian-Li's site http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product...25&ss_index=62
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
    - Unknown

Overclocked

Thanks for the info. The Lian-Li PC-A17 is a nice-looking case, looks similar to the Antec 900, but... IDK. I personally prefer the more robust look of the Antec. Im not planning on moving the case every week, it's going to stay where it's going to be. I also believe the 200mm top fan + twin front intakes would make a better cooling solution, as well as the PSU being on the bottom of the case. That rig is going to be air-cooled but quite overclocked, so I want the best cheap solution for nice-looking and air-cooling.

I dont really mind about the wire not being long enough, I will try and find a way to hide it my best. I may just as well drill a hole on the bottom of the case and put the PSU the other way so that the fan points at the bottom of the case. It would make up for better cooling, as well as being able to pull a bit more wire since this way the PSU wires would be on the side of the motherboard tray.

Altho I like all the other features on the Lian Li, such as the wire management, hard drive dampering, etc. But I guess I could be able to work out these things in the 900 as well... lol