Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 8.04 and Sketchup?

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: Ubuntu 8.04 and Sketchup?

Hmmm, "metacity --replace & {ENTER}" didn't seem to work.

Awesome setup by the way lol man does that bring back some memories...

Here is the new error I keep getting...

Update: Wait I'm retarded. lol okay, this time when I tried the code I didn't include "enter" with it, but instead PRESSED enter.

Sketchup has now stopped giving me errors, and it seems I can do anything without making it crash, but the screen is black and wont display anything...
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Turn off all desktop animation effects too .. and .. you may need to do

Code:
    sudo metacity --replace &
    EDIT:

looooool yes {ENTER} meant the enter key hehe

click view report details and see what we get.

Uninstalled my graphics driver using EnvyNG, as it was creating some hard to deal with problems for me. Mainly, not being able to view my laptop without having to bring it over to my big screen, changing the resolution, then bringing it back over and hooking it back up to see if it worked or not.

So thats that. I'm now stuck in 800x600 mode with one mode smaller than this one. But you know what? I'm perfectly fine with that. Do you want to know why?

BECAUSE GOOGLE SKETCHUP IS NOW WORKING BABY!

People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

coolio

Post your experience on the Ubuntu user forums (in detail including the REMOVAL of EnvyNG as the solution). It will help give clues to the development teams as to what is going on.

Will do. ^_^

"My experience? I've never realized how beautiful Windows XP is..." jk jk

Posted. I hope I covered everything important, I don't think I missed anything?

Getting SketchUp to work under Wine

Anodized

Hey

So you are just back on "stock drivers ".

Well Envy just installs ATi drivers .
    This stock driver that you have now and run on it GS with 800x600 res is just older ATI driver AFAIR.

It is very intresting that in lower res GS works -_O.
    I had 9550. In Hardy finaly ATi drives worked properly. But I still had black window in GS.
    Now on GF 7300 i have no problems with gfx on hardy( god bless Nvidia ).
    But I have now that OpenGL error, same as you. No way I am back on stock drivers.

You run
    Code:
    But do you run any compiz or emerald( i don't even think so, but I'll ask either)?
    If no, that looks like you just "restarted" metacity oO.

Mind sharing your xorg.conf ??

Peace & vodka

Code:
    ar -r God

Quote Originally Posted by h3moglobe0 View Post
    Hey

So you are just back on "stock drivers ".

Well Envy just installs ATi drivers .
    This stock driver that you have now and run on it GS with 800x600 res is just older ATI driver AFAIR.

It is very intresting that in lower res GS works -_O.
    I had 9550. In Hardy finaly ATi drives worked properly. But I still had black window in GS.
    Now on GF 7300 i have no problems with gfx on hardy( god bless Nvidia ).
    But I have now that OpenGL error, same as you. No way I am back on stock drivers.

You run
    Code:
    But do you run any compiz or emerald( i don't even think so, but I'll ask either)?
    If no, that looks like you just "restarted" metacity oO.

Mind sharing your xorg.conf ??

Peace & vodka
    I would imagine so, I have no drivers installed that I'm aware of. I guess I'm just using whatever comes with the OS.

EnvyNG will install both ATI and nVidia drivers, either automatically or manually by searching for your model.

Nope, I don't run any compiz or emerald. I have something called "emerald theme manager" but I couldn't get it to work so I don't use it.

How do I post my xorg.conf?

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post

Nope, I don't run any compiz or emerald. I have something called "emerald theme manager" but I couldn't get it to work so I don't use it.

How do I post my xorg.conf?
    You probably are running compiz as it runs as standard on Hardy Heron (and the metacity replace command would not have helped if you were not).

Before running the
    Code:
    metacity --replace &
    in terminal run
    Code:
     ps aux | grep compiz
    and if you get an output anything like this then compiz is running. After you run the metacity command you will notice the compiz-sm-client process has been killed. This also means the metacity replace needs running each time you run sketchup. You can do this in a script that runs metacity then launches SU:

Code:
    me        5917  0.0  0.0   1772   532 ?        S    00:34   0:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/compiz --sm-client-id default0
    me        5977  0.2  1.4  21812 14576 ?        S    00:34   0:50 /usr/bin/compiz.real --ignore-desktop-hints --replace --indirect-rendering --sm-client-id default0 core ccp
    me        6153  0.0  0.0   1772   480 ?        Ss   00:34   0:00 /bin/sh -c /usr/bin/compiz-decorator
    me        6154  0.0  0.0   1772   504 ?        S    00:34   0:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/compiz-decorator
    me       19363  0.0  0.0   3012   780 pts/0    R+   07:21   0:00 grep compiz
    To get your xorg.conf just search the root (file system) for xorg and then open it using text editor to copy/paste/upload. Here's mine:

Code:
    # xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
    #
    # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
    # values from the debconf database.
    #
    # Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
    # (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
    #
    # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
    # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
    # package.
    #
    # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
    # again, run the following command:
    #   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier    "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver        "kbd"
        Option        "XkbRules"    "xorg"
        Option        "XkbModel"    "pc105"
        Option        "XkbLayout"    "gb"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier    "Configured Mouse"
        Driver        "mouse"