Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 8.04 and Sketchup?

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Ubuntu 8.04 and Sketchup?

Installed Sketchup via WINE, but when I go to run the application I get the error;

Sketchup was unable to Initialize OpenGL!
    Please make sure you have installed the correct
    drivers for your graphics card.

Error: ChoosePixelFormat failed
    I don't suppose anyone knows how to get Sketchup working under Ubuntu do they? Are there any other programs out there that are similar to Sketchup that work under Ubuntu?
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Default Re: Ubuntu 8.04 and Sketchup?

RIP Bucko

Where can I download OpenGL? The link he provides does not work anymore.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

RIP Bucko

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    Negative. Links are dead. T_T

Is there anyone who has got this to work for them? I keep running across forums with people saying they can get it working, but either I don't understand how they did it or I'm unable to do it the way they did it.

I would like to get this working so I can put my ideas onto "paper", to better visualize and plan it all out.

I'm not entirely sure why I just only now understood what the error message was telling me, but...

Where do I download drivers for my graphics card? lol

I have a ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (I'm using a laptop).

You probably need the fglrx err. ATI Catalyst driver set for Linux. You should be able to apt-get it or use Ubuntu's GUI package manager (I use Gentoo so I just emerge things). The X.Org driver for r200 and r300 devices (the 9600, 9700 and 9800 are r300) is supposed to support DRI and other goodies now, I could never get it to work. You may want to visit Phoronix back when I still had a 9600 in my desktop I kept up with the miserable state of ATI drivers in Linux, their forums seem very helpful for figuring out common driver problems and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

(WINE 1.0-rc1 under Ubuntu 8.04)

Post install, you have to let SketchUp run (and crash) at least once so that the registry keys all are written. Then make the changes, as below, with WINE's regedit program:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\SketchUp6\GLConf ig\Display]
    "FIRST_TIME"=dword:00000000
    "HW_OK"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\SketchUp6\Google SketchUp TOTD]
    "HelpPage"="0"
    "ShowOnStartUp"="false"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\SketchUp6\Snappy Instructor]
    "Show"="0"

Layout will not function at all...it doesn't even write keys so that I can tweak it.

Incidentally, I have had these SU settings work on two relatively modern workstations with NVIDIA video cards (and I let Ubuntu find and install the latest Proprietary drivers). On a slightly older notebook computer with an ATI card, this did not work, no matter how I tweaked the settings. But I think that is ATI's fault, for some reason.
    from: http://linuxoutlaws.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=427

Don't know if that's applicable to your 9700.

You can use EnvyNG included in Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.04) to get the right drivers or Envy Legacy if you are using an older ubuntu instructions here and here

CrazyB

I should mention that I'm still pretty new to Ubuntu and linux in general. If its not like a step by step instruction, I don't usually understand a lick of it, well even then I still don't, but I know how to follow directions . So most of what you guys just said... probably ended up popping a few brain cells in my head from trying to understand it. lol

I've tried doing some code thing in the Terminal with fglrx before, at least I think thats what it was, but when I was reading the instructions from some web forum it told me to do something when I came to certain section, but that section never came for me to alter... that I know of at least. Ahh its so confusing! Why can't they make a free windows?? lol

Funny how the only thing I really want is the one thing that I can't figure out how to get working. lol