Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to modding.

Fresh Paint

Default Re: New to modding.

Im sorry, I didnt read it properly.

What im going to do with this computer...hmmm...not play games, il do video editing and Photoshop etc... I want decent graphics but not neseccerily amazing. I just want a generally fairly high performance pc.

Rankenphile

In that case, up the ram to MINIMUM of 1 gig. I do this sort of thing daily, and have a full gig and still run out.

Also, consider a second hard drive, even if it is a small 8gb or something, to use entirely as a scratch disk for photoshop and Premiere and such.

Fresh Paint

Thats a good idea, Il try and get the extra RAM, I have a spare small hard drive that i could fit up.

Rankenphile

One thing I find usefull, too, is an external hard drive. I bought a 250gb Fantom Drive a few months ago, and I use it all the time for extra storage. Video work eats storage like crazy, and having a portable storage device to transport projects from place to place, especially since I do a lot of freelance work, is a huge boon. It is one of those things you can down the road, but I can't live without it. It serves as my back-up drive and houses all my big projects, and allows me the versatility to take my work home with me, or my home music to work.

Fresh Paint

Ok, so Ive been trying to get my components from only a few stores to save on shipping costs.(which i originally forgot about, stupid me)

Got it down to four stores, now i know that might seem too many to start with but with shipping and all added to the fact that my mother is paying £315 towards it, i will only be spending about £70ish.

I have checked all i can to make sure everything is compatibible and all, but id like someone to doublecheck if they would be so kind.

CPU: AMD Sempron 3000+
    CPU Fan: Zalman 120mm flower fan
    Motherboard: EPoX EP-8NPAJ
    RAM: TwinMOS PC3200 512mb (later i will buy some more to make it up to 1gig min)
    PSU: Akasa PSU ATX 400W
    Case: Thermaltake Sviking (this case is said to be out of stock in most stores, however i think this store has it in as i cant see anywhere that says it isnt on the page, if not then i will phone other stores to check on stock as the website is not always fully updated)
    Hard Drive: SATA 160GB
    Graphics card: Xpertvision 256mb Geforce 6600LE

Ok, so some of you might be wary about the hard drive as it does not come with a well known name such as Seagate and whatnot and so (as was commented on before) it may fail and be generally not great.
    However, the place i am getting it from (amongst other things) is MCS and their store is just up the road from my house, this means i wont have to pay postage or anything and it will be easy to return anything if faulty. Also, i know the people who own MCS and they would not sell the hard drive if it was in any way unstable or possibly faulty. So im going to continue to buy my HDD from them. But thanks for the concern slaveofconvention.

Thank you to everyone for replying and helping me out with this, i really appreciate it.

Fresh Paint

It dosnt matter anymore, Ive just ordered all my kit.

Thank you to everyone that helped me.