Page 59 of 87 FirstFirst ... 949545556575859606162636469 ... LastLast

Thread: TBCS New Members Introductory Thread

Default Re: TBCS New Members Introductory Thread

Sorry didn't read the rules till I the 3rd day of my membership, so this is NOT my 1st post. I'm a real life acquaintance of mDust and have LONG talked about his computer problems/fixes/ideas and has on more than one occasion taught me a thing or two about computers. I wanted to join up and learn more as I have TOO much time on my hands and like to build things with them. I have a sorry excuse for a PC but it plays all current games just fine. I don't overclock
    though not against it. As for modding I fixed my 360 3rings of death using about $35 worth of supplies and have built mine and my GF's PC from scratch and even had to straighten the pins on my GF's processor when mDust bent them because he was used too Intel and it's still running after 4 years! Also I'm new to forums so navigating everything here is gonna take me awhile and as soon as I get my PC specs up for viewing you can all start laughing!

Welcome to the forums! From the looks of your introduction, you might have some tips for all of us. I also wouldn't worry too much about having an older PC. Mine isn't that great either.

I am hoping to get a solution to this problem:
    I am an artist. I paint on plain ol' clear flat glass using a heavy-bodied, heavily-pigmented glaze product.
    http://kenforst.tumblr.com/

I want to do away with the rather heavy wooden frames I have been using and instead, use 1.5 x 1.5 x 3" styrene plastic boxes attached directly to the back side of the glass at the corners. (The other end of the boxes are drilled to accept the hanging hook or nails or whatever.)

This arrangement allows the maximum ambient light to reflect off the wall and pass through the painting, thus eliminating any need for added light sources that involve wires, batteries, etc.

The problem is finding an adhesive I can trust to provide a secure, permanent grip on both the glass and the styrene. I have tried epoxies and clear plastic adhesives (Devcon Weldit), and nearly lost the art.

My other alternative may be to drill holes in the glass (I have done this before) and run carriage bolts through the glass and the boxes, and attach some kind of looped fixture to the 'wall' end for the hanging hardware. As you may imagine, this would be VERY nerve-wracking, considering what I stand to lose if a crack happens.

So that's it, I would appreciate any questions and comments.

Thanks.

@Kenforst
    Please don't post this here. Feel free to post it in the Q&A section.
    Projects: RGB Tower - Custom CPU water block

Watching someone else use your computer is like watching a drunk orangutan solve a rubix cube. They have no idea what they're doing and you just wish they'd hand you the damn thing so you can do it yourself.
    -TheOatmeal

Fresh Paint

Hi. I'm a wayward soul from the Gruntville community who hasn't been around for a very, very long time. It's good to see some of the folks I'm used to seeing are still around making noise.

Hi Guys, been lurking for awhile but figured I would finally make my first post. I just started a IT services company earlier this year in Arkansas but my true passion is system building and customization. Ill have some basic builds coming up as I build about 3-5 computers a week figured I might as well post stuff up so maybe someone can learn from my triumphs or mistakes.

Welcome gta3uzi and DrkSide! As for you Kenforst, I'm reserving judgement. I'm not sure if you are a spammer or not.

My say would be to drill holes in the glass before you do the glazing. You can make them a little big since they will shrink a little when you fire the glazing. Then put some rubber grommets in the holes and then decorative mounting hardware.

Good evening TBCS Universe.

I have built many PC's over the last Umpteen years and felt its time to say hello on your site. I have not spent must time/effort on modding the case of a system but I sometimes tweak the internal hardware, and software to its limits.

The-J-Nation

Welcome to TBCS! Looking forward to seeing you first project.

Holy silicon smoke, a new army of modders in the last few weeks. Welcome to TBCS (all 33 of you)!

Did I miss a big liquidation sale on computer parts or something?
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.