Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardware Hacks and Non-PC Mods

Default Hardware Hacks and Non-PC Mods

Building a home network into your vehicle? Adding touchscreen control panels to your home climate control/porch lights? Modding your Razer phone into a phone/electric shaver? Teaching your toaster to feel love?

We have been discussing widening the gamut of modded devices forums for a while but have yet to ask your thoughts about it. Personally, I love gadgets. Household mods with PC controlled lights, leds in the stairs, networked secuirty cams and sprinker systems, etc.. Some people are building PC systems into their cars, others are simply hacking gadgets to do something different. All of these things interest me, and I wouldn't mind seeing some of these projects around here but as I have been informed many of you think they are off-limits because they aren't PC mods. If you guys and gals have some of these ideas or projects and would like to share them, please do so. If we have enough of them I'll open some new forums for them. So...who's been modding?

Jon
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Default Re: Hardware Hacks and Non-PC Mods

I'm going to be diong a simple LED mod for an xbox, although I may be doing more game console mods and some other stuff in the future.

I'm with ya dude. I think all of those mods have a place here. Even though they're not PC mods, one never knows where inspiration might be found.

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

Sounds like fun. I love things that do something else or hid something inside you normally wouldn't see. (Is it bad I was looking at a large Cool Whip container and told my wife, "I bet I could fit a computer in there"?)

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

I had a toaster that felt love, Damn annoying don't recommend it, the thing eventually go depressed and short circuited

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

I've been thumbing through a few issues of a certain magazine that sponsors a popularity contest at another site, and believe it or not, there's some interesting modding ideas and designs in there, one of which I'd be more than happy to make a worklog for, as their version looks hella cool. Of course, mine's gonna look even cooler.

And possibly greener.

So yes, I'm all for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Why a house is just a really big computer case to any modder right?
    'Sup guys? I do stuff. (Not really)
    Increase Population!, Increase industry!

I subscribed to this thread. BigJohnson's Avatar

I think this place has a spot for all mods. I dont think that putting a new exhaust system on your car should count, but if you made your garage door work on finger print recognition it would be welcome here.

Big putting a finger print reader on your garage probably wouldn't help after you've been working on the car and have grease all over your fingers. I don't think it would read right.

Just as long as you don't put an in-valid reconition to set off the sprinklers, laser systems, etc.

But yeah, I wanna see more non-computer mods.
    'Sup guys? I do stuff. (Not really)
    Increase Population!, Increase industry!

I build costumes, just for fun, nothing impressive. I may post them here. I also make stained glass.