Thread: 1080p 42"+ LCD for PC/Desktop purposes

ATX Mental Case

Default 1080p 42"+ LCD for PC/Desktop purposes

Hi guys, I've been contemplating for a while no as to whether or not to get a 42" LCD TV 1080p to use for my PC. Just wondering if anyone can provide some insight and share their experiences as to how well it works.

I use my PC primarily for the following reasons in order or priority:

1) Gaming
    2) Web Surfing
    3) Productivity (Office, Emailing, IM, etc).

My concerns are:

1) Character legibility and crispness
    2) Color Accuracy
    3) Effects of post-processing filters often found in LCD TVs.

Thank you!

Carpe Apenodytes halcyonforever's Avatar

Default Re: 1080p 42"+ LCD for PC/Desktop purposes

here is the thing about gaming on a TV, you are limited to the resolution of the TV at 1080 lines and a set frame rate typically 60. I can't remember the cross section, but bascially it's not a huge jump over playing at 1024x768.

Now for myself, that is about where most of my games run at, but if you are a fan of running at 1600x1200 at 100+ FPS that is not going to work on a TV based display.

You will get some funny graphics if you don't enable v-sync to limit the fps to the cycles of the tv. Other than that yeah it will work well and should be visible for text at a reasonable distance.

I had a 32 inch monitor from gateway, but it only did 800x600 max rez (this was 12 years ago)

ATX Mental Case

Okay thanks, some things though:

1) I play primarily RPGs, RTS and MMOs which have options to play at 16:10 or 16:9, and scaling will be fine because all I'm losing 120pixels on the height (1920x1200 vs 1920x1080), in which those games will adjust for.

2) FPS is not an issue for me.

3) How far did you have to sit away from your 32" before the letters are legible?

Thanks!

Just another thing that i think needs mentioning here. If you use the DVI plug you can go to higher resolutions than 1080. I have my projector connected via DVB to a DVI adapter and it runs superbly at 1600x1200. Everything is ledgable, awsome for movies and games!

I'm thinking of getting a screen like this to mount on the wall behind my desk so the whole wall becomes a desktop. I mainly do graphics, text, web and watch TV. I guess you would want to be 2.5 - 3 feet away to ensure no visible text corruption. I want to have browsers, word, TV and photoshop open at once usually.

CB

Fresh Paint

i am using a cheapo 32" LCD as a monitor. adjusted it to its full resolution and no problems with the characters

For a screen so big, if you do encounter text corruption you can allways use Accessability Options and increase the font size for everything.

ATX Mental Case

Cool, tx guys