Thread: Sony Cybershot DSC-H7 review

Default Sony Cybershot DSC-H7 review

Lets jump right in and start with the basics. We bought this at Circuit City back in Febuary for $299.00. It's a DSLR type meaning that because you can't change lenses, it's not a true SLR. However, all the SLR options such as F Stop, Shutter speed, manual focus, and ISO levels are available for you to change and tweak at your leasure. Images of the camera itself can be found here. (Yes, I was lazy, and didn't feel like taking them myself)

TECH SPECS

Manufacturer: Sony Electronics, Inc.
    Part number: DSC-H7

General
    Product Type Digital camera - Compact
    Color Silver or Black
    Weight 13.2 oz Width 4.3 in Depth 3.4 in Height 3.3 in

Main Features
    Resolution 8.1 megapixels
    Image stabilizer feature Optical stabilization helps prevent blurry pictures, especially for handheld cameras at slow shutter speeds or when using high optical zoom. This camera utilizes built-in Super SteadyShot stabilization to assist in taking sharper pictures.
    Sensor resolution 8.1 megapixels
    Optical Sensor Type Super HAD CCD
    Effective Sensor Resolution 8,100,000 pixels
    Total Pixels 8,300,000 pixels
    Optical Sensor Size 1/2.5 in
    Light Sensitivity ISO 80, ISO 100, ISO 200, ISO 400, ISO 800, ISO 1000, ISO 1600, ISO 3200, ISO auto
    Digital Zoom 15 x
    Shooting Modes Frame movie mode
    Shooting Programs Snow, Beach, Fireworks, Landscape, Sports mode, Portrait mode, Twilight mode, High sensitivity, Twilight portrait
    Special effects Sepia, Vivid, Black & White
    Max Shutter Speed 1/4000 sec
    Min Shutter Speed 30 sec
    Exposure Metering Spot, Multi-segment, Center-weighted
    Exposure Modes Manual, Program, Automatic, Shutter-priority, Aperture-priority
    Exposure Compensation ±2 EV range, in 1/3 EV steps White Balance
    Custom, Presets, Automatic
    White Balance Presets Flash, Cloudy, Daylight, Fluorescent, Incandescent
    Digital video format MPEG VX
    Still Image Format JPEG
    Continuous Shooting Speed 2.2 frames per second
    Remote control Remote control - Infrared
    Color support Color
    Image Stabilizer Optical (Super Steady Shot)
    TV Tuner None Video Capture MPEG - 640 x 480, MPEG - 640 x 480, MPEG - 320 x 240

Memory / Storage
    Flash Memory 31 MB Flash - Integrated (soldered memory - 31 MB )
    Floppy Drive None
    Image Storage JPEG 3264 x 2448 : 40 - With 128MB card, JPEG 3264 x 2176 : 40 - With 128MB card, JPEG 2592 x 1944 : 51 - With 128MB card, JPEG 2048 x 1536 : 82 - With 128MB card, JPEG 1920 x 1080 : 133 - With 128MB card, JPEG 640 x 480 : 790 - With 128MB card
    Supported Flash Memory Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo

Lens System
    Type Zoom lens - 5.2 mm - 78 mm - F/2.7-4.5
    Focal Length 5.2 mm - 78 mm
    Lens Construction 8 group(s) / 13 element(s)
    Lens Manufacturer Carl Zeiss

Additional Features
    Self Timer Yes
    Self Timer Delay 2 sec, 10 sec
    Additional Features DPOF support, Direct print, Face detection, Audio recording, Auto power save, Built-in speaker, Histogram display, PictBridge support, PRINT Image Matching, USB 2.0 compatibility, Digital noise reduction, RGB primary color filter, In-camera red-eye removal, Display brightness control

Camera Flash
    Effective Flash Range 8 in - 32 ft
    Type Pop-up flash
    Flash Modes Auto mode, Fill-in mode, Slow synchro, Flash OFF mode, Red-eye reduction
    Red Eye Reduction Yes
    Features AF illuminator, Flash +/- compensation Viewfinder

Viewfinder
    Type LCD
    Color support Color
    Diagonal size (inches) 0.2 in Resolution 201,000 pixels

Display
    Type LCD display - TFT active matrix - 2.5 in - Color
    Mounting Built-in
    Resolution 115,000 pixels

Digital Player (Recorder)
    Type None

Microphone
    Type Microphone - Built-in

Connections
    Connector Type 1 x USB, 1 x Composite video/audio output
    Expansion Slot(s) 1 x Memory Stick PRO Duo

Lens Systems
    Auto Focus TTL contrast detection
    Type Zoom lens
    Focal length 5.2 mm - 78 mm
    Focal Length Equivalent to 35mm Camera 31 - 465 mm
    Focus adjustment Manual, Automatic
    Auto Focus Points (Zones) 9
    Min Focus Range 19.7 in
    Macro Focus Range 1-50cm
    Lens Aperture F/2.7-4.5
    Optical Zoom 15 x
    Zoom Adjustment Motorized drive
    Lens construction 8 : 13
    Features ED glass, Aspherical lens

Miscellaneous
    Carrying Case None
    Cables Included 1, 1 x A/V cable, USB cable
    Included Accessories Lens cap, Lens hood, Shoulder strap, Lens adapter ring

Power
    Power Device Battery charger - External

System Requirements for PC Connection
    Operating system MS Windows ME, MS Windows XP, Apple Mac OS 9.1, Apple Mac OS 9.2, Apple Mac OS X 10.0 - 10.4, MS Windows 2000 Professional Peripherals USB port, CD-ROM drive

Battery
    Supported Battery 1 x Sony NP-BG1 Li-ion rechargeable battery - 960 mAh ( Included )

Manufacturer Warranty
    Service & Support 1 year warranty
    Service & Support Details Limited warranty - Parts and labor - 1 year
    Type 1 year warranty, - Limited warranty - Parts and labor
    Full contract period 1 year

Software
    Type Drivers & Utilities, Sony Picture Motion Browser
    Last edited by SgtM; 06-01-2008 at 10:39 PM.

Default Re: Sony Cybershot DSC-H7 review

Now, having upgraded from a Fuji A-345, there was quite a learning curve. I've found that Flickr has been an incredible resource simply because you can view exif data on a picture that you like, so you can snap your own version. Now, some of you may not know what exif data is.. I sure didn't. Basically, most newer digital cameras record data into the image that tells you whether the flash fired, focus mode, ISO settings, shutter speed, and so on.

Accessories we purchased were a camera bag, 4Gb memory card, and an extra battery.

The DSC-H7 isn't a new camera. It's been on the market since the early part of 2007, but it fit our budget. Remember, earlier I said that I originally bought the camera for my wife? Well, it turns out that I'm having just as much fun with this as she is.

I'm hoping to get some cool hot air balloon shots pretty soon. On weekends during the summer, there's a place that I pass on my way home from work that does rides early in the morning. I think those will be some cool shots with the sun just coming up in the background.
    Last edited by SgtM; 06-07-2008 at 04:17 PM.

Some example shots. Keep in mind that I haven't bought any of the add on lenses from Sony. This is how the camera shoots out of the box.

Here's a great example of the Depth Of Field you can get with this camera.

Notice the pollen?

The Goodyear Blimp!

Zoomed in on the blimp. (Didn't know that the camera was in speia mode until I processed the images)

Action shot. Notice that there's no blur. That's the Advantages of having a selectable shutter speed.

Waterdrop on a nailhead. I shot this in macro mode. See the reflection of the coke can in the background.
    Should also note that the only lighting I used was the small amount of sunlight coming through the windows there. I used a long exposure though. I think it was 5 seconds.
    Last edited by SgtM; 06-02-2008 at 08:38 AM.

So there ya have it. The Sony Cybershot DSC-H7 in a nutshell. My overall rating for this camera would be a 9/10 simply because there is a learning curve if you've never used an SLR type camera before. It's affordable, lightweight, and most importantly, takes GREAT shots. Questions, comments, or even image requests? Feel free to post away.

Nice review this seems to be a good choice if youre on a budget as you said but i took the step and went for the EOS 400D with a 50-1.8 II and a 17-85 IS and i have never looked back. The 50 lens is absolutely magnificent for worklog pictures. My advice would be to save up and get a full dlsr its true that it takes some time to master one but when you finally do the benefits are well worth the extra cash.

And also photography in general becomes much more fun when you have better gear. I myself tougth id just use the 400d in the same way that ive used all my other cameras but instead i find my self taking pictures all the time just for the fun of it but i still keep my old Sony DSC-H1 around for times when you dont want to drag along and expencive dslr like on Sweden rock festival 33000 Headbangers ALOT of dust and endless gallons of beer isnt a good place for a Dslr

Check out my Arty Farty section on my flickr for some shots ive taken with the 400d wich by the way can be found used at bargain prices nowadays.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/2507353...7604239219278/
    the images are a mixed bunch taken with 70/300, 50 and 17-85

oh and btw the H7 does take good pictures but i just love all the choices a full dslr gives you

Very cool pics man. I gotta get out and take some pics like that. I tried getting the wife to go full SLR, but she wasn't comfortable making that leap yet. --It's technically her camera, but I'm having fun with it too.