Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: TBCS Charity Drive

Default TBCS Charity Drive

That's right folks. We want your crap.

You see, I'm working at a Camp for Disabled Kids in PA at the moment. Here, we have 6 computers for the kids to use, and they all suck. I'm not just talking Pentium 2's here, one of them is an unbranded processor running at around 233Mhz. When was the last time you ever heard of an unbranded processor?

This biggest shortfall though is RAM. There's not enough RAM to go about; the XP machines, of which we have 2, each have 128MB of DDR. The rest of the computers seem to still be using PC memory, and have around 32-64MB each.

So these are old computers. Which isn't a problem, because they're running old software, but these kids do deserve better than this. All these computers and parts have been donated by happy parents or generous businesses, so all we're really looking for here is some more donations; it's pretty obvious from the Specs of these air-heaters exactly when the last charity drive was.

Ok, so what do we need? That there's a mighty fine question.

• RAM: PC, DDR, DDR2, whatever ya got lying around. If it's less than 32MB, don't bother, but that and above, we would welcome it here.
    • Monitors: Ok, I don't really expect anyone to mail a monitor, unless you can persuade your boss to put it on their community support fund or something. We currently have a bunch of 17"CRT's that are in pretty weak condition. We also have a single 15" CRT and two nice 19" CRT's that seem pretty new. If you have any 19" CRT's, or flat panels of any size above 14", they would find a welcome home here.
    • Educational Games: If you have any kid's educational games, or just non-violent games in general for the younger folks, they would be handy. The most modern game here is Lego Racers, and the second most modern is Descent 2. I don't know why Descent 2 is here, but we're looking for fun educational/kids games.
    • Posters: The classroom currently has laminated clip art on the walls. That's a whole new breed of tacky. If you have any cool looking posters, like a scale poster of a CPU architecture or some such, that sort of stuff would look pretty good on the walls. Educational posters and such would also be very helpful. They should in some way be related to Computing.
    • Whole computers: I don't really want bits of computer for this job, but if you have a whole computer that is in working condition and has a windows Licence (98, ME, XP, Vista, whatever) it's good. Yet again, high postage costs means that I'm not expecting much activity here, but if you don't ask you don't get.
    • Mice and Keyboards: We have a bunch of old mice, mostly trackball with 2 buttons. Any decent mice would be incredibly helpful, as would decent keyboards. I'm in particular need of a USB mouse, as everything here is of the PS/2 variety but I have a working ME computer (hilarious, I know) with a Pentium 3 that has no PS/2 Ports. I have a USB keyboard, but need the mouse. I know they cost like a buck or two, so if I get no taker's I'll just buy one.

The final thing to remember is that this is a summer camp or disabled children, who spend most of their time playing simple games. Top of the range hardware is wasted here. I'm trying to build multi-purpose workstations, so anyone willing to sent me a Quad Core CPU, please ebay it and donate the money to charity instead.

You're probably wondering where exactly to send this stuff, eh? Well you can send it all to me directly at Camp Lee Mar. Information about the camp, along with the address and phone number are located there. I'm working at the camp, and the address starts with 450 Route 590. Please DO NOT phone the camp and ask to speak to me. I will be pretty p'd off if you do, so don't. Please. Don't forget that e-mail is still the best way to get in touch with me, and it's warndave@googlemail.com.

You can PM me, E-mail me, whatever you want. These are kids who spend most of their lives feeling out of place and misunderstood, and this Camp is one of the few places where they can really belong, even just for one summer. Anything you guys can do to help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Default Re: TBCS Charity Drive

I will begin the hunt through my random piles of computer crap. I think I might even have a copy of Type to Learn here .
    RIP Bucko

i can send you a bag of ram, unknown size i think most of it is 64-256 PC100 and PC133,

If you can find what socket the cpus use i have loads of P3's and mobiles if any will fit i can send some of them also.

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

Cool beans! I think I have some stuff for you, at least a USB keyboard and maybe a mouse. I'll give them to you on saturday when I pick you up.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Thanks Jon.

XcOM, I appreciate it a lot but the chances are that this will get grabbed by border control folks and they'll want tax for it. If you want to send the bag o' ram, it will be appreciated, but it might not get here. It's your call bro.

Maleficus, anything you got, and are willing to part with, would be appreciated.

Thanks guys. Dig Deep!

-Dave

What about something like popcap games? They're flash based so processing needs are limited and some of them are quite fun. Would these work? Do you have an internet connection?

How old are the kids?

I have a bunch of stuff Dave.

~ 25 MicroSoft mice, brand new in the box with software (a mis order by one of the sales guys who had to eat the cost). We were going to sell them for $1/ea to the local scrap resellers, but this is way more worthy. I will even make mce pay for shipping...

I will go make a list of the other stuff we are about to scrap.

BTW: do they really stop shipments at your borders for taxing them on the way out? I thought that only happened on the way in...
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

I have lots of stuff too!
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

BTW: do they really stop shipments at your borders for taxing them on the way out? I thought that only happened on the way in...
    I was assuming the Americans would tax it. Am I wrong to assume that?

~ 25 MicroSoft mice, brand new in the box with software (a mis order by one of the sales guys who had to eat the cost). We were going to sell them for $1/ea to the local scrap resellers, but this is way more worthy. I will even make mce pay for shipping..
    Dude, I swear, I'm going to kiss you next time I see you. That's awesome. You got the address and stuff right?

Thanks to TGS and Luke, who have e-mailed and PM'd me.

There is something I forgot to add to this list: I'm also keeping my eyes open for a webcam, like a logitech quickcam, and a microphone and speaker headset. That's not for the kids, that's for the staff computer. I have this on my laptop anyway, but a lot of these guys are miles away from their home to help these kids. The webcam and headphones would make getting in touch with their families easier.

It's no biggie. The priority is getting these kids some decent computers to learn on.

-Dave

I'll gladly send some old stuff your way. If the camp is here in the US I have an old machine I'd be willing to rebuild and send your way so you have an extra computer, I'll even stick it in a lightly modded case if thats cool. At the least I have a few old PS/2 keyboards I'll definitely give you guys and if you interested maybe some old speakers. I might possibly hook you up with an older sidewinder joystick if you need/want it, I don't really play any games that use it. I have 2x 17" CRTs in good condition I can possibly give you if I were able to ship them cheap enough. I'll dig through my software and see what I can find.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy