Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TBCS Charity Drive

Default Re: TBCS Charity Drive

I have a full computer that i'm willing to donate...
    AMD athlon xp @ 1.5ghz
    1gb ram
    20gb hd
    200something watt psu
    17" CRT
    two monitor mount speakers
    some kind of agp video card
    ethernet network card
    modem network card
    windows XP

everything works, but is slow to my standards...
    but i'm sure it'll be like the fastest one around up there almost?
    “An intelligent hell would be better than a retarded paradise”
    -Victor Hugo

i'll do my best to convince my mommy to let me send it up there...
    she's usually stingy when it comes to giving things away...
    but it's a good cause!!!
    She'd agree on one of her good days
    “An intelligent hell would be better than a retarded paradise”
    -Victor Hugo

dang... hate to have found this thread so late. i would really love to help. i have stuff here at my office and stuff at home that i will send if it's not too late.

i've subscribed to this thread and will check daily. lemme know if you want more stuff. i certainly have ram and other assorted hardware.

give us an update, and +rep for your work with these kids. very admirable.
    Every passing hour brings the Solar System forty-three thousand miles closer to Globular Cluster M13 in Hercules — and still there are some misfits who insist that there is no such thing as progress.
    Kurt Vonnegut - Sirens of Titan

Hi guys. Airbozo's mice arrived, and so did some posters, along with a copy of the game Tony Hawks' Pro Skater 2. TGS's stuff arrived and has been of great help setting things up and keeping them working, although I had some problems with the hardware he sent that I'll PM him about (watch the inbox, TGS!).

However, I think the aim is to have 5 new computers here, each one capable of running EDUBUNTU. So we're looking at computers that are capable of running Ubuntu. This means that the computers should use fairly standard hardware. I'd like each computer to have around 512MB of RAM, although that could be a bit idealistic in this case. Each computer should have a CPU over 1GHz, and and old graphics cards you have would be appreciated.

I'm still looking for more games, so older games like age of empires 2, descent, etc. would be great. Now that I've met a lot of the kids, It's become more apparent that the older kids are looking for more games to play, and the single solitary copy of Tony Hawks is wearing out fast. Use your own judgement on which games are good and which games are bad; these are impressionable kids, so games with darker themes are out from the word go: Put Max Payne back on the shelf.

If you can send me anything at all, please just send it; my work here is more hectic than I could have possibly imagined, and as I write this I'm still busy doing 2 jobs at once. With some luck, I'll have more time to reply to my messages, but at the moment I'm stuck doing the best I can do.

So if you have anything, whole computers, computer bits, hardware along, anything you can send to me, please do. These kids desperately need your spare parts. If you can send posters, games, anything at all, it will make summer for these kids, and the kids next summer, and the summer after that; it will make their summers.

So please, if you have anything at all that you can send, please do. It will make all the difference in the world.

Thanks.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

I have a TON of old PCI video cards, dial-up modems, and a few USB cards, and I happen to have a copy of both AOE and AOE II with the expansions. Sorry that I haven't sent my stuff yet. I will have to find all of my 64MB RAM. It's no longer doing me any good.

good to hear back from you and very happy to hear that you are still collecting stuff for the kids. i was afraid i missed the opportunity. i would so much rather give stuff to a worthy cause than the recycle people.

anyway... i should have enough hardware to build one complete box. i think it's around 1.6 GHz AMD w/ 1GB Ram. i will also have some hard drives and possibly a vid card. i have a bunch of games, but i'm not sure you want them. baldur's gate, unreal tournament, etc. kotor and a few others. i'll check my drawer.

it will be a couple more weeks before i can send the stuff out. i am in the process of consolidating to see what all i have. i'm gonna build 3 systems for me (game box, server & HTPC). you can have what ever is left.
    Every passing hour brings the Solar System forty-three thousand miles closer to Globular Cluster M13 in Hercules — and still there are some misfits who insist that there is no such thing as progress.
    Kurt Vonnegut - Sirens of Titan

Thanks guys. Believe me when I say, that every little helps at the moment.

Today is Wednesday, and I'm taking some of the really old spare parts tonight to run a computer building workshop with a select few of the kids that are able to understand and follow the process. I have about one and a half hours, so I'm just setting up the OS and testing the system at the moment. 2 of the kids asked me to run this, so I'm hoping it will be a success.

Everything that you can send to me, I'll find a use for. With the materials that have already arrived, the conditions in the computer room have hugely improved. If the TBCS community can keep this up, it will make a huge difference to these kids.

Here's a quick heart grabber; Ruth, one of the Admins, told me yesterday about one kid with a bad heart, who lived only for this camp. Every summer he'd come here, but his heart would get worse, but he'd pull through for this place. A few years ago, Ruth thought he was on his way out, but he wanted to stay in camp, so he kept everything up till the last day. The day he left camp, he was in hospital for 6 months. He came back to camp next year, and he's still coming here.

This camp really does a lot for these kids, and they're so happy here. They're learning how to get jobs, how to play sports, how to behave, how to have fun, and make friends.

I'm doing my bit to make this summer the best yet for these kids, and I know that most of you guys have more spare parts than you've had hot meals. So please, if you can spare some games, some parts, anything-send them to me, and I'll make sure that they are put to good use.

Oh, and could everyone who's sent me stuff please PM me their address?

Thanks guys. I know I can rely on you.

-Dave

PS: If you have spare parts, but haven't the money for shipping, PM me and we'll talk and see what we can figure out.

I wanna keep the ball rolling here guys, please don't let this thread die.

-Dave

I'm still going through stuff, kinda been a little busy and wasn't sure if you were still getting stuff together. I found some old linksys routers I have no use for they are 100base two slow for me, but should be great for you guys. I'll try to get to it ASAP, I have so much stuff I just need to get rid of stuff, was going to try and sell it on ebay but this is easier and a way better cause.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post

-Dave

PS: If you have spare parts, but haven't the money for shipping, PM me and we'll talk and see what we can figure out.
    This is something I CAN help with. Let me know and I will setup a pickup and delivery... (of course after I tell, ah er _ask_ my GM).

-going through my games tonight-
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...