Thread: She did it again

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

Default She did it again

You guys are not going to believe this one. Last night my wife was having some issues with her computer and because the antivirus warning kept coming up. So she goes and downloads AVG, I think is the one she grabbed. Well this morning it tells her to restart the computer and half the Windows boot files won't load and it won't boot from the CDROM. So in the past 6 months I have had her computer down and out twice.

What makes it a little funnier is that when I looked at the warning bubble that kept popping up on her I told her right away that was one of those spyware that gets in and tells you that there is an issue when all they did was slap some spyware into your system so you'll buy the software to remove it. So now I'm in the process of getting what files I can off of the drive and wiping the drive clean. She hasn't had a complete system wipe ever and she's had that computer going on 3 years I think.

Just thought I would relay a funny story.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

Default Re: She did it again

I think it's time to teach her linux. Don't tell her the root password, then she can't do anything you don't explicitly give her permission to do. When My kids log on, they can't even use the dvd burner. And their permissions are so set low, that they can't do anything to even remotely hurt anything. They only have write permission on their own home directory. My Bios is also passwork protetcted. The only thing I have to worry about letting my kids on the computer is making sure they don't take food/drinks to it. Monkey see, monkey do.
    My goal in life is to earn enough money to enjoy the lifestyle that my wife and kids do.

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

Sounds like a good idea but I don't even know linux. Maybe in the future I can go with that. For now I'll set her up with what I have that seems to be working just fine for me.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

Is awesome

So my friend, he got one of those viruses that installs, and tells you that you have a really bad infection on your computer and does a fake virus scan telling you you have a horrible infection to make your pay them money for their fake virus software.

His background has been changed to a big "YOU HAVE A VIRUS ON YOUR COMPUTER" warning. He has a bubble pop up every once in a while saying "buy our software" or something to that effect. And one time, he tells, get this-

A swarm of bugs appear on his computer and start eating his toolbar and icons.
    Probably the coolest virus I have ever heard of. I just wish I was there to see those bugs...
    You love my sig.

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

I just cleaned up a woman's PC with Avast! and it found 665 infected files!! Great (FREE) program
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Quote Originally Posted by Quakken View Post
    So my friend, he got one of those viruses that installs, and tells you that you have a really bad infection on your computer and does a fake virus scan telling you you have a horrible infection to make your pay them money for their fake virus software.

His background has been changed to a big "YOU HAVE A VIRUS ON YOUR COMPUTER" warning. He has a bubble pop up every once in a while saying "buy our software" or something to that effect. And one time, he tells, get this-

A swarm of bugs appear on his computer and start eating his toolbar and icons.
    Probably the coolest virus I have ever heard of. I just wish I was there to see those bugs...
    Last LAN Party I went to, someone formatted their computer and managed to get that.... so they had to reformat their computer again!
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

I just saw the bugs the other day on a computer at work. Program is called "Antispyspider" and it does the popup telling you to buy their program. If you click ignore, the bugs appear and start eating everything. It's just a screensaver that does it, but what a pain in the ass to remove.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro