Thread: Intel in HOT WATER!

Default Intel in HOT WATER!

A new story entry has been added:

[drupal=237]Intel in HOT WATER![/drupal]

News is good for AMD as the Federal Trade Commission has opened a formal probe into Intel

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Default Re: Intel in HOT WATER!

Wow, it might be a great time to upgrade soon then.

It's about time....

I'm a fan of free market "let the better product win" marketplace, and let the customer decide. When AMD was in the drivers seat with their AMD64 proc, it should have had a lot more traction and gained much more market momentum than it did. I am of the fervent belief that Intel had a direct hand in the restriction of the market and not allowing AMD to compete equally due to vendor threats and "removal of marketing dollars".

Dont get me wrong, I'm not anti Intel, I am anti-"monopolistic practices" that remove market choice. Right now Intel is on top of the heap, thanks in large part to their finally realizing that the "Netburst" long pipeline was a market term that equated to an engineering snafu, and that they recovered with their next line of products. But their market standing *now* is due in large part to their minimizing their product install base erosion (due to their P4 space heater, poor architecture and poor performance) by forcing OEM's to stay with Intel. Now that they have a superior product, they sell on their merits alone. But back when AMD had the leg up, Intel (IMHO) sold on intimidation, and that is what upsets me.

If their is evidence found I hope that the influenced vendors will have the courage to step forward and show the evidence.
    -=:http://www.tech-daddy.com:=-
    (yeah I know... I need to update it... BUT I NEED TO MOD!!! )

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

I've been buying AMD CPUs, since they're so much cheaper. If the core2 was as cheap as the athlon 64 x2, I would buy the core2.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

I owned one Intel CPU, in my first PC, a Packard Bell (need I say more?). Then I was innundated with that God-forsaken hellspawned 5-note Pentium sound everytime I turned around. It still comes up in therapy from time to time. Then they had to drag in Blue Man Group. These are not good reasons to avoid a product, I know, but I do. My second (and successive) systems have all had AMD processors, I have always been satisfied with their performance, and not once have my senses been assaulted like they were by Intel. I hope they get slammed.
    ________
    Bmw Sauber F1.06 History
    Last edited by blueonblack; 02-24-2011 at 02:52 PM.

i am long term AMD fan. it's mainly a price issue, but i would say that i have never gotten a bad product from them. always happy.

I switched to Intel when they started pushing out solid dual core procs.

But now, I think it's time to go back home.

When I was planning to get my first computer (that I paid for myself) I was going to get a Dual Core AMD... however the week before a LAN Party, intel dropped their Q6600 prices... and it's what I have currently.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

I've been an AMD fan since I first began building computers and have never purchased an Intel processor. My main reason for deciding on AMD umpteen years ago was price. Plus, I liked the fact that I could unlock the multipliers with pencil lead and overclock my cheap processor, making it even cheaper than the Intel equivalent. I've always had a thing about getting more than what I paid for and never paying anyone for something I felt I could do myself. I guess AMD satisfied that. In addition to that I always root for the underdog, (for godsakes I'm a 49er fan...ouch), which AMD was at the time I started building computers. I hope Intel burns in hell and pays for their shady tactics, and I hope AMD starts putting up some processors that will compete against and demolish the duos.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Water Cooled

I have to say that I had always been a staunch support for AMD. Every PC I ever built up until my last build were all AMD. At the time they just had the better bang for the buck in most price points. But ever since Intel released the solid Core 2's and AMD bought ATI, they lost that edge. Right now I am rocking an e6660 for that very reason. AMD just doesn't have the performance edge anymore. Until they can show me a real solid performer that can match the intel on price and performance, I am not interested.

...which breaks my heart
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
    - Unknown